Scenic Railway Staff

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic Railway Staff

Postby Cheryl » 03 Sep 2003, 11:04

Having just returned from 2 weeks in Margate and lots of goes on my beloved Scenic Railway, I would like to thank the Scenic staff, especially Dave who always makes time for us. Such hospitality I have never received at any other Theme Park.

Everybody owes them a big thank you, with the recent problems and not getting paid, most people would have given up, but they havn't. That is dedication for you, I hope they are employed at Dreamland for many years to come!
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby Sarah » 03 Sep 2003, 15:12

Dave is indeed a walking wonder: keeping his chin up in the face of extreme adversity; working ridiculous hours; carrying a heavy weight of responsibility; and still finding the time to train me up as a brakeman, mechanically challenged and feeble armed as I am. We are lucky to have him at the helm of the Scenic.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby gooner » 05 Sep 2003, 06:32

:evil: HAVING JUST READ SARAHS COMMENTS . IT ANNOYS ME THAT PEOPLE THINK DAVID IS RUNNING THE SCENIC SINGLE HANDED, YOU MUST REMEMBER THERE ARE 2 OTHERS THAT WORK ON THE SCENIC. WITHOUT THE 28 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF JOHN AND THE VOLUNTARY DEDICATION FROM SIMON THE SCENIC WOULD PROBABLY BE CLOSED. :evil: :evil:
gooner

Postby Sarah » 05 Sep 2003, 20:00

It's certainly true that Dave couldn't run the Scenic single-handed, but he is the person who shoulders the financial worries - such as ensuring the staff are paid - and the one who takes ultimate responsibility for the Scenic. As such, he deserves a special mention.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby dave771 » 05 Sep 2003, 20:24

Just a quick response to Gooners comments, John Husband works on the Scenic Railway as he is sub contracted from Dreamland Leisure which means I have to employ him as part of the agreement for running the ride and is also paid a high overtime rate which no one else on the ride does, so john does very well when it comes to his work conditions and wages. When it comes to Simon, he is a great friend of mine who is as passionate about running the ride as I am and has a choice as to how many hours he does on the ride but choses to do more as he knows what problems I have been left with since the recent parting of Cllr Colin Kiddell. If you all knew the real reasons as to why Mr Kiddell has parted company with us on the Scenic you may realise whats really going on. I have never taken the credit for running the ride on my own as withoout Simon I could not have continued running the ride and as for John, he is only on the ride to earn an income and for no other reason so please consider all the facts and know what you are talking about before slagging me off again. Your post states you are in Margate so if you would like to talk to me at any time please do next time you are in the park and then maybe I can explain a few things to you that you obviously do not know at the moment.

Dave
dave771

Postby Nick » 05 Sep 2003, 21:17

We all know that Dave couldn't run something as big as the Scenic on his own, but that was not the point of Sarah's post. There is no doubt in my mind that, were it not for Dave, the Scenic Railway would not be running now. Dave has devoted virtually everything (time, money, etc) to keep the ride going, and he has been through some pretty difficult times so far this year, the most difficult of which he alludes to in his post above. Dave works tirelessly to keep the Scenic running, and he always finds the time to stop and talk to customers on the ride (and point a few people in the direction of this Campaign!)

Keep up the good work, Dave!

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 06 Sep 2003, 00:38

Theres not much else you can add to what Nick has said. All three blokes are great John, Simon & Dave but without the Dave risking so much then we would not be able to still be riding the Scenic. Untill this season Dave was just another bloke on the Scenic but the few times I have been lucky enough to get down to Margate this year Dave has always made us feel welcome. He never seems to forget a face and every time its like meeting up with a mate you haven't seen for ages. Simon is a great bloke and John isn't so scary (as I thought he was for so many years!).
AJ

Postby gooner » 06 Sep 2003, 06:01

In reply to david i would just like to point out i wasnt slagging you off , i was just trying to point out to sarah that you wasnt the only one putting a lot of time into running the scenic railway. Simon spends a lot of time on the scenic without being paid for his dedication and hard work. I dont believe people realise simon lost his job whilst working on the scenic.(so i believe there is more than one "walking wonder").
:evil: ILL BE IN SATURDAY TO SEE YOU :twisted:
you dont no what your missing
gooner

Re: Scenic Railway Staff

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 06 Sep 2003, 21:12

Cheryl O'Carroll wrote:Having just returned from 2 weeks in Margate and lots of goes on my beloved Scenic Railway, I would like to thank the Scenic staff, especially Dave who always makes time for us. Such hospitality I have never received at any other Theme Park.

Couldn`t agree more. Thanks from all three of us for the tour of the workshop and engine room today. Fascinating stuff.

We just can`t stay off the thing!

Vince, Charlie and Sam
Vince, Charlie and Sam

THANKS

Postby Neil » 11 Sep 2003, 19:05

As far as I'm aware everythings been covered. But I would still like to some how get my thanks in.
THANKS
I had a brilliant day. As I said in my review.
http://www.freewebs.com/mmdreamland/
Neil Wilson
Neil

Scenic Railway Staff

Postby porterm » 12 Sep 2003, 01:55

Hi all,

I was very sorry to hear that Simon has lost his job whilst working full-time on the Scenic. I hope his generosity in helping with the ride's running will be repaid again soon. Hope to see you on the Scenic again soon.

All the best,

Martin
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum