Scenic railway "Roaring 20's night"

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic railway "Roaring 20's night"

Postby imansfield » 12 Sep 2003, 00:10

Hi there,

Just wanted to remind everyone about the Scenic railway Roaring 20's night on the 20th september. Please do come down and support this event if you can. Its going to be a fun evening, what with the marathon and the late night exclusive ride session on the scenic!

We still have a few places left for anyone wishing to take part in the 200 minute marathon. Full details of how to join in are on the "save dreamland" news page.

The event is open to everyone, and this may be your last chance to ride a piece of history.

Also, must say a BIG THANKS :D to Dave Collard and Sarah Vickery for helping to organise this event. All we need now is YOU!

Ian Mansfield - European Coaster Club
imansfield

Roaring 20's Night

Postby porterm » 12 Sep 2003, 01:36

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I'm very pleased to read that Colin Kiddell, formerly of the Scenic Railway Trust, has now resigned from his political position, in light of recent events since his sudden departure from the Trust. Enough said there I think.

I've also just realised that the Roaring 20's Night is being held on the 20th of September with a 200 minute ride duration (notice the "20" connection?) - suppose a 20 minute ride wouldn't really have worked, and definately not a 20 hour one!

I just hope I'll survive the ride session; anyone got any pre-ride tips? - I suppose a restricted fluid intake would be appropriate as I trust we cannot leave our train seats once seated. Sponsorship is going better at my work than I anticipated; most of my colleagues have pledged £2 each. Just hope I get over my cold virus thing before the big day.

Keep coasting,

Martin :D
porterm

roaring 20's night

Postby imansfield » 12 Sep 2003, 09:23

Hi Martin,

Im glad to hear your sponsor collecting is going well! Ive been amazed myself at how generous people have been. I've already collected over 75 pounds :D

As for the marathon, its not compulsory to stay in your seat for the whole 200 minutes, were not trying to break any world records! But if you did want to play by the rules your allowed a 5 min break for every hour you ride. Toilet facilties and snacks will be available, so no need to worry there. Just keep your fingers crossed it dosent rain!!

See you soon,

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Roaring 20s

Postby Cheryl » 12 Sep 2003, 10:05

Hello, I will be down for this event and I'm hoping to dress up in 20s clothes - is anybody else? I'd hate to be the only one!

Also with regard to the ERS, do you need to prebook this or just sort it out on the night.
Cheryl
Cheryl

20's night

Postby dave771 » 12 Sep 2003, 12:53

Hi Cheryl,
Dave from the Scenic here, if you are interested in getting a costume for the night please contact Sarah Vickery at the Shell Grotto on 01843 220008, as for the ERS that will be done on the night when the marathon has finished. If you are taking part in the marathon riding please be sure to contact the ECC for sponsor forms, their details are on the latest news page,

Thanks to all of you who are supporting the Scenic and coming on the 20th, should be a great night!

One other thing, please can you all make use of the Burger Bar which is situated by the waltzer ride, this unit is being kept open for our benefit for the night so please make use of it, if we dont they may close early and i think we will all need somewhere to get hot drinks and food on the night! also the Gallopers and Waltzer will be open for us so please have a go on them while you are here, these rides are being run by Dave Wallis at the park and he has been a great help to me over this season so please use his rides as well as the Scenic.

Thanks againand see you all on the 20th,

Dave
dave771

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 12 Sep 2003, 17:08

We will be there so we will look forward to meeting some of you.

What we are not prepared to do is wait for eight days to have another go on the Scenic so we`ll be there tomorrow too...........

Vince, Charlie and Sam
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby porf » 12 Sep 2003, 17:17

Hi All,

Got my acceptance for this back this morning.

I've found fundraising on a Friday afternoon just as people come back from the pub to be an effective strategy!

I'm planning to come 20's style so hope the rest of you are. See you on the 20th.

Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Sarah » 12 Sep 2003, 18:46

Hello

Just to reassure you, I have been down at the local fancy dress shop today trying on costumes and measuring inside legs :shock: for all those who have asked me to sort costumes. So you will definitely not be alone in dressing up!

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Ian » 15 Sep 2003, 07:45

I've sent off the form, (not heard back yet, hope to this week some time)and I intend to dress up. Sponsorship not going too bad, and costume yet to be found. Other than that, no worries!!

I'm also bringing along a few friends for a few goes at £1 a time, so hopefully, that will add a few quid to the amount raised.

Looking forward to putting some faces to names!

Ian
Ian

20's Night

Postby dave771 » 15 Sep 2003, 14:27

Hi to you all,

Its Dave from the Scenic Railway, I have spoken to Dave Wallis from Carousel Fun who is running the park this season regarding the Waltzer and Gallopers rides which will be open 7 - 11pm next Saturday. He is going to charge the same as the Scenic for his rides, £1 per person and all rides will be pay cash on the ride rather than tokens as there will be no cashiers working on the night which will help to keep costs down for us both on the night. Dave Wallis has also asked me to emphasise that these rides will only be open all the time that it is viable to keep them running, so like I said in a previous post please do use the other facilities that are open, also the burger bar will be open for burgers, chips, hot drinks, etc all the time that it is being used.

Hope to see a lot of you on Saturday and hope that you all have a fun night!

Dave
dave771

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 19 Sep 2003, 20:13

Hey Dave,

We`ll be there on the Scenic Railway, but we`ll only go on the Waltzer if they promise to spin the cars like proper Waltzer ride-ops do!

As for the Gallopers, lovely though they are, they just don`t go fast enough for us!

Vince, Charlie, Sam.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum