hows the season been

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

hows the season been

Postby PAUL HUGHES » 16 Sep 2003, 17:18

:?: just wondering how the season has been for dreamland, and more importantly the scenic railway. at the convention in may it was said a lot of money was needed to open and run it for the season ie rent, wages, insurance, etc... as we now draw close to the end of the season how has it gone? how many people have riden? it has been reported on the site of colin kiddel leaving the trust but not the reason why, and from reading between the lines many local posting seam to know more (may be in local papers) but for us following from a far we dont know. i hope his leaving has not caused to much upheaval at the trust.
:( i will not be able to get to dreamland for the 20's event but wish everyone all the best and i will sponsor some one if they like :!:
to all involved keep up the good work in these uncertain times
PAUL HUGHES

hows the season been

Postby imansfield » 16 Sep 2003, 19:29

Hi Paul,

Im sure Dave Collard (very nice chap!) will be able to answer all your questions regarding Dreamlands 2003 season. But in the meantime, I'd happily take up your offer of sponsorship :D

Email me and I'll give you my details.

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

How's The Season Been?

Postby porterm » 16 Sep 2003, 23:22

Hello Paul,

I don't know the actual Scenic Railway riding figures this season, but ironically, on the whole, the quite tropical weather this summer (and of late) has surely boosted the park's general attendance figures. I certainly do not wish to be at all negative, but I do find it quite ironic that the weather this summer has really done Dreamland proud, especially in these uncertain times. It's just a great shame that the park has really had little or no real publicity this season.

As for the Colin Kiddell situation, I hope you will get to hear the full story in the coming months, suffice to say it all appears to be rather "political" as per usual. I hope the Gods are on our side, as they say. I suppose it may indicate that in this business, one can truly have a real rollercoaster ride.

I am also attempting to partake in this Saturday's "Roaring 20's Sponsored Scenic Event"; I notice that Ian Mansfield has already "chipped in" with his plea for your money. (I have quite a lot of sponsors anyway so I don't really mind). I'm sure you'll hear how everything went soon.

Bye for now,

Martin :D
porterm

Postby dave771 » 17 Sep 2003, 10:42

Hi to u all, in early october i will do the figures for the season and let you all know how many people have been on the ride but I can say it has been a reasonably good season for the Scenic Railway considering all thats been going on, but the less said about that the better, as for Kiddell leaving the Scenic, everyone will know what they need to know in due course but thats all I can say for now, the few people that do know whats going on, I would ask you to all keep things to yourselves for the time being,

Thanks, Dave.
dave771

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 19 Sep 2003, 21:02

There is a press release from TDC regarding Colin Kiddell`s resignation here....

http://www.thanet.gov.uk/cgi-bin/pressr ... .pl?ID=544

It is a TDC press release and only covers the impending by-election for his ward. I would suggest though, that we identify the candidate most in favour of the campaign to save Dreamland, and actively support him or her.

Or even put up a candidate ourselves......

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum