Scenic Railway - Registered Charity?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic Railway - Registered Charity?

Postby Cheryl » 18 Sep 2003, 11:12

Hi everyone, I expect Dave can answer this for me, is the Scenic a Registered Charity? The reason I need to know is my husband Gez is doing the marathon on Saturday and his employer, National Grid Transco, will match his total sponsorship provided it is a charity, which obviously would be wonderful.

We have been totally amazed at the interest shown by friends, relatives and colleagues many of whom have never been to Margate, perhaps this might change now! Most of them said that they didn't even know Margate had a roller coaster let alone about it's heritage.

Looking forward to Saturday and meeting lots of you on this Forum.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby porf » 18 Sep 2003, 17:00

Hi Cheryl,

Unfortunately not.

I had a bit of a chat with Dave about this when I went down a month or so ago as my company double match donations to charities, which would have been very nice.

I've also been pretty surprised by the sponsorship so far, it's not something I thought a lot of people would be willing to help with.

Paul Freeman.
porf
Site Admin

Postby dave771 » 18 Sep 2003, 22:04

Hi Cheryl,
As Paul has confirmed the Scenic Railway is not being run as a charitable organisation, the intention was for myself and Colin Kiddell to register as a charitable trust as soon as we could but for reasons that I cant comment on at the moment this never did happen.

The way it stands at the moment is that the Scenic Railway is being run by myself as an independent operator with my colleagues Simon Goodenough and John Husband and like I have stated on the Latest News page Thursday 11/9, I will continue to operate the ride for as long as I am able to and offered the lease on the ride by Mr Godden, again any events like Saturdays 20's night will be a great help to raise finances for the ride to pay for running costs should the ride be available to me again in the future,

Thanks to you all for the time you are putting into this event and with all the local publicity thanks to Simon and Sarahs efforts over the last week it should be a great night!

Also thanks to Dave Wells from the ECC for the interview he done on Invicta Radio tonight to raise awareness of the event,

Hope to see you all on Saturday night and any drinks for the staff will be greatly appreciated! Pineapple Bacardi Breezer for me thanx! :lol:
dave771

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum