Roaring 20s night

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Roaring 20s night

Postby Ian » 22 Sep 2003, 12:01

Just to say what a FANTASTIC time I had during the marathon. It was good to meet so many new people and to enjoy the Scenic for over 3 hours. I thought that the scenic looked fantastic - every single light bulb worked, the decorations were fun, and the atmosphere was great. I was afraid that there wouldnt be too many people there, but to have to get the second train out for quite a while was tribute to the staff. It was great to talk to Dave, Simon and John as they "breaked" us round the course, although it was a bit scary when they decided to take various number of hands off the breaks at various points on our journeys!!

Hi also to Paul F who tolerated my company for over 3 hours, and Im'm glad that the hat survived!!

Looking forward to finding out how much was raised.

Thanks again to all those involved in organising such a great event.

Ian
Ian

Postby Ian » 22 Sep 2003, 12:08

I forgot to say thanks to Sarah who continually asked me if I wanted a drink of my water?!?

Ian
Ian

Postby Sarah » 22 Sep 2003, 13:21

Just wanted to say hats off (staw boaters, of course) to all you marathon riders. I have to admit that I found Saturday night quite emotional; such a great atmosphere, so much enthusiasm and a real feeling of camaraderie. And a great deal of money raised for the dear old Scenic.
I was also really chuffed at the number of regular punters who turned up, due in no small part to Ian and Rich braving Margate Seafront in full 20s costume with their flyers. I say, it's Pimms o'clock!
Well done everyone.
Same time, same place, next year? :D

Sarah
Sarah

Postby AJ » 22 Sep 2003, 13:34

Yes well done to everyone on Saturday. It was a great night and the photos look good. I nearly didn't recognise Sarah. You looked completely different since the Convention! I like the hair by the way.
AJ

too right

Postby Rich F » 22 Sep 2003, 13:37

I echo Ian's and Sarah's thoughts - what a night...

We even had a good result with BBC radio kent. We were on their bulletins all of yesterday, and have a good web page article. It was worth me getting up at 7am to phone them say how it went!

handing out the flyers was a real laugh - what a variety of responses we got - from outright abuse to amazement to massive support... It was quite exciting trying to guess what people would do when you approached them..

well done everyone who took part and contributed - what a great team effort it was too :)

R
Rich F

Postby DickF » 22 Sep 2003, 19:31

Well done everyone for saturday night,great atmosphere, ride really looking good.Having worked on the ride for 17 years up to 1989 the memories came flooding back and then being allowed to operate it again,wonderful.
DickF

Postby dave771 » 22 Sep 2003, 20:52

Hi Dick
Was great to meet you and talk to you properly on Saturday night, and didnt get to experience your driving as I was on the Waltzer with the others at the time, Im glad you were impressed by the way the ride looked as we have all tried our best with fairly short notice to get it looking as good as possible to make Saturday night a memorable one!
If you do get time Dick it would be nice to talk to you again before we close next Sunday when the ride is not as busy as the other night,

I will when I get the chance post a proper thankyou to all involved in this seasons running of the ride and also the customer numbers for the Scenic for the 2003 season and what the future plans are for the ride,

Dave
dave771

Postby porterm » 23 Sep 2003, 02:59

Hello all,

Yes, Saturday night was quite eventful. I never expected to see so many lights (and a smoke machine!) gracing the Scenic structure and station; very effective. Full credit to all who were involved.

I must say that I was more than a little apprehensive before embarking on the marathon ride, but I only remember checking my watch a couple of times and the time seemed to just fly by. Great company and a fun-filled night was had by all I feel.

The sponsorship total was just incredible. I hope everyone had a great time; just hope I can make it down for a while for this final Sunday of the season (work permitting). If the weather continues as it has been, this season will surely go down as one of the driest ever.

Martin :roll:
porterm

Postby Cheryl » 23 Sep 2003, 08:58

Hello to everyone and lovely to meet so many people on Saturday. Gez took part in the marathon and loved every minute of it, my turn next year he is not getting all the fun!

I was fortunate enough to be riding when Sarah took the train round, absolutely brilliant, definitely more brakewomen required!

The highlight of the night for me was when the marathon riders came down the hill all waving their boaters - priceless! :lol:

Really hope we can all meet up again next year.

Cheryl
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby imansfield » 23 Sep 2003, 20:47

Hi everyone,

Well, what can I say that hasnt already been said. The support from you lot on the night really blew me away! When we first started planning the event I though maybe a handfull of people would turn up, and we would just about manage to raise a grand, but to see so many people turn up and support the Scenic was overwhelming.

Now for the serious bit, we need the sponsor money sent in as soon as possible. If you havent already done so, make a cheque payable to "European Coaster Club" and send it to: ECC, "Roland croft", Elmstead market, Colchester, Essex, CO7 7DZ

The sooner we get all the money in the sooner we will know the magic final figure!

Thanks again to everyone who helped to make it such a special evening.

Now, who's up for "Roaring 20's night 2" next year?!?!?!?

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum