Major fire on the Scenic Railway 7th Apr. Suspected arson.

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby paul69 » 15 Jul 2008, 22:29

i can never understand how in all circumstances of investigations that things go un-solved with so much CCTV about these days but hopefully in the scenics case the culprit(s) will get caught. Is there any news on any thing that can be salvaged from the ashes ie the metal work from the trains etc
paul69

Postby smilerbaker » 16 Jul 2008, 10:52

paul69 wrote:i can never understand how in all circumstances of investigations that things go un-solved with so much CCTV about these days but hopefully in the scenics case the culprit(s) will get caught. Is there any news on any thing that can be salvaged from the ashes ie the metal work from the trains etc

Cost, the police would take a quick look at any cctv, ask if anyone recognises anyone, no, oh well.

No one hurt, owner not going mental, just another crime stat, best go catch a speeder to cover it.

In the big scheme of things someone setting fire to a derelict fairground ride isn't high on there priorities, I would be amazed if the police did any investigating into this at all.
smilerbaker

Postby EAS » 28 Jul 2008, 08:08

I posted this in the Seaside forums, I appreciate not directly related to Dreamland but another terrible fire at Weston-super-Mare pier this morning, looks like the grade II listed structure will be totally destroyed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7528165.stm
EAS

Pier Fire

Postby Geoffers » 28 Jul 2008, 08:36

Agreed, terribly, terribly sad.. seems so much of what makes the British seaside great, is either being banned, plundered, or going up in flames.
Geoffers

Postby EAS » 28 Jul 2008, 09:31

EAS

Fire

Postby Geoffers » 28 Jul 2008, 09:51

The only positive, is that the structure of the pier is intact... I wonder if they will want to invest in a rebuild... I so hope so, another derelict pier, slowly slipping into the sea would be heart breaking....

What the hell is it about sea side attractions and fire?
Last edited by Geoffers on 28 Jul 2008, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffers

Re: Fire

Postby Greg Pryce » 28 Jul 2008, 10:15

[quote="Geoffers"]The only positive, is that the structure of the pier is intact... I wonder if thy will want to invest in a rebuild... I so hope so, another derlict pier, slowly slipping into the sea would be heart breaking....

Exactly, also if it is repaired, it would be nice to see the originality retained as much as possibe and not let it be turned into a Plastic Palace that resembles some kind of showcase for a PVC Replacement Window company!
Greg Pryce

Postby EAS » 28 Jul 2008, 13:09

So much gone...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7528258.stm

Another video and report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7528165.stm

Chief fire officer Kevin Pearson said: "Indications are that there were some deep fat fryers in the area where we believe the fire first started.

"We're fairly clear about where we think the fire first started and obviously our investigations will concentrate on that area."

The foundations of the structure, which is supported by iron girders, were said to be sound and not at risk of collapse.

Rod Brenner, who owned the pier until six months ago when he sold it to the current owners, said: "I think that what has happened is, fortunately it had a very thick hardwood floor, and I think that has held, from what I can see here.

"The entire pavilion has gone admittedly, and it'll be obviously a huge project to rebuild it, which will take a considerable amount of time.

"I mean, when it burnt down last time, in 1930, it took three years and they probably moved a bit quicker then than we do nowadays."

It seems there is another:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7446487.stm
EAS

Postby EAS » 28 Jul 2008, 17:52

The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 415505.ece

BBC:

Owner vows to restore burnt pier

The cause of the fire is not likely to be known till midweek
The owner of the Grand Pier at Weston- super-Mare, which was destroyed in a fire, has said he "will work tirelessly to restore" the structure.

Kerry Michael, who bought the pier with his sister in February, said they were "absolutely devastated" by the blaze.

Dozens of firefighters tackled the fire which broke out in the North Somerset seaside resort at about 0700 BST.

No-one was injured in the blaze, which firefighters said started in an area containing deep fat fryers.

'Near destruction'

But the fire service added that the cause of the blaze might not be known till midweek, as safety concerns were preventing crews from getting inside the pier's burnt shell.

Mr Michael, who was on his way home from holiday in Spain when the fire started said the "magnificent" structure, would be "restored to its former glory".

In a press statement he also thanked people for their messages of support.

Among those was the Bishop of Bath and Wells who broke off from the Lambeth Conference to express his shock and sympathy.

The fire on the pier - picture by Penny Broomhall

"The near destruction of the Grand Pier is a devastating blow for the people of Weston-super-Mare and I assure you all - the owners, the town's people and the visitors - of my sympathy, support and prayers at this very difficult time," he said.

Mr Michael said: "I feel very sorry for all our dedicated staff, many of whom have been here all their working lives and treasured the pier.

"I don't know how they are going to come to terms with this tragic loss.

"I feel very sorry for the people of Weston, for them the pier was Weston. In these difficult economic times I sincerely hope that this event doesn't bring further hardship to those businesses and people who rely on our tourist trade.

"I would like to assure all these people that we will work tirelessly to restore this magnificent structure to its former glory."

If only all owners of historic seaside attractions felt the same!
EAS

Fire

Postby Geoffers » 29 Jul 2008, 08:41

Sounds as if (fingers crossed he is as good a his word), these folks, do care about the area, and didn't just buy the old girl to make a fast buck.

What a shame the same couldn't be said for our friend involved in Dreamland.
Geoffers

Postby EAS » 29 Jul 2008, 09:02

I gather the new owners have spent a considerable amount since purchase, updating the attractions, and hopefully the place was well insured. It may not be cost effective to rebuild, however.

Here's this morning's report in the Scotsman:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk/The- ... 4332674.jp
EAS

Postby Cheryl » 29 Jul 2008, 11:55

Hi, this is awful for Weston - our local seaside resort aka Birmingham on Sea, as so many of us Brummies decend upon the town.

It was interesting hearing the views of their local Councillors with regard to this attraction and its demise. They spoke so proudly of their major asset and how a lot of regeneration was happening on Weston seafront because of the investment that was going on at the Pier. Sadly, Thanet Councillors could not be bothered to fight for their HUGE asset - Dreamland in 2003 when Godden decided to close it, infact they helped the man by changing their local policy to allow development. Now it appears they have woken up to what a draw Dreamland is and are in favour of the Heritage Park, which when open, I suppose they will take all the glory.

Weston also boasted of the number of Hotels still trading up and down the seafront. Unfortunately Margate now only has a handful, due to copious amounts of unwanted conversions to flats, to house other Councils 'unwanted'. I suppose some hope comes from the fact that the Nayland Rock is now a tourist hotel - but how are they every going to get away from the asylum hostel stigma?

It sickens me how sad it is in Margate these days - but it won't stop me visiting - my favourite resort!
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby EAS » 01 Aug 2008, 10:32

EAS

Postby dave771 » 01 Aug 2008, 22:33

Can I just remind forum members this topic is called 'Major fire on the Scenic Railway'. The pier fire at Weston super Mare has been covered in the Seaside forum. Of course this is of some importance but we cannot cover every issue regarding listed buildings or suspicious fires on a forum that is for Dreamland and the Scenic Railway. Can these topics be covered on the relevant forums in future, Thanks.
dave771

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum