Major fire on the Scenic Railway 7th Apr. Suspected arson.

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby flataeric » 07 Apr 2008, 19:14

My son and I have just been down to have a look. This is a sad day for the residents of Margate. I just hope that it can be restored as far as possible. This isn't just a heritage site, it means just so much more to the residents here. Everyone will have memories of that ride from their chldhood and adulthood. I hope that the council and everyone else gets behind a project that will enable it to be available for future generations.

Sadly, I feel that, as usual, the council do not have the residents interests at heart. That would mean an end to the lining of their bank accounts. A sad day indeed. No wonder so many turn their backs on this place and walk away. There is no regeneration here without residents.
flataeric

Postby paulcowper » 07 Apr 2008, 19:21

Scenic or no scenic. nothing will stop the campaign, So many people have worked so damn hard, they are not gunna just let it go. Dreamland WILL rise from the ashes, And even if the scenic cant be rebuilt, there will be enough to salvage something to dedicate to it.

THIS IS NOT THE END

Regards

Paul
paulcowper

Postby vince69619 » 07 Apr 2008, 19:27

This is enough! Time for a compulsory purchase.

Option 2, the owners have had the option of selling the site and this valuable asset. If they don't have suitable insurance, then tough. Time to force them to fix the damage and perform any required maintenance. It is a listed building after all.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby EAS » 07 Apr 2008, 19:31

Sadly, a CPO isn't so simple... but a step along the way certainly!
EAS

Postby rosieem » 07 Apr 2008, 19:31

still in shock!

How can 1 man be allwed to get away with so many things!! Thanet Council and Police have got to sort this out!!

With Dreamland cinema closing and now the scenic railway being victim to a 'suspicous fire' Margate is losing appeal to visitors which was its main source of income to all the businesses. SO, perhaps the local business would help to fund the rebuilding of it??? Not saying they should fit al the bill, the lions share should be paid by the good old firestarter himself!

So many memories gone up in smoke this afternoon for not just Maragte residents but people who have visited Margate in the past who probably wont again if the Council dont enforce the rebuilding of it!
rosieem

Postby Sez920167 » 07 Apr 2008, 19:32

Hi All!!

I just wanted to add my feelings on the subject of the fire on such a sad day for Margate!!!!

I think this is a marvellous site, and have joined tonight to show my support. I live in Ramsgate, and have visited Dreamland on many occasions in it's glory days!!!!

Let's hope that the railway is salvagable - otherwise as others have said, it's open to all kinds of development and Mr G will have got his way yet again!!!!

How is it he gets away with it all the time?????

How can they possibly think that kids could have started the fire - what in 3 places???? I think not.

I have set up my own picture album on facebook to show my support for the Scenic Railway.

Come on everyone - it's not all doom and gloom - lets club together and fight this!!!!!

MR G WILL NOT BEAT US!!!!!
Sarah
Sez920167

Postby EAS » 07 Apr 2008, 19:40

EAS

Postby Sez920167 » 07 Apr 2008, 19:51

Hi All Again!! :D

Hope I've done the right thing - have e-mailled the info about the fire and the history of the Scenic Railway to SKY News, because I feel this should be a national issue - it's about time people saw what has gone on here, local news is one thing but it needs to be recognised nationally - this is part of the UK's history!!

Have attached photos to the e-mail I sent, from the supporters on this website and have mentioned the website 'Save Dreamland Campaign'. Have also given a brief history of the ride and when the fire was.

Thanks
Sarah
Sez920167

Postby Nick Evans » 07 Apr 2008, 19:57

I happened to be working for the Thanet Extra today and was on site for the blaze shortly after 5pm. I surprise myself at having taken just over 200 photos in around 40 minutes!

Very sad to see what has happened and can only hope something will be done to salvage the wreck. It's not going to be easy. The train shed, the trains themselves and central parts of the ride like the boarding area and the first hill up have all gone.

Have emailed Sarah and Nick a selection of the shots I took - hope they can be used on this site later on.

Whatever caused the fire, it certainly seems to have spread - and bear in mind the timers would surely have still been damp from the snow and rain over the weekend. Draw your own conclusions, ladies and gents.
Nick Evans

Postby Nick » 07 Apr 2008, 20:00

This is a very sad day indeed, something I have been dreading for many years. I was kind of hoping that we had turned the corner these past few months, with the planning brief being adopted and seemingly therefore securing (at least in principle) the funding of the park and the future of the Scenic. We almost got there.

However, this is certainly not the end. We won't be jumping to any conclusions about the Scenic's - or indeed this Campaign's - future. We need some time to take stock of the situation and work out the next steps. MTCRC have emailed me this evening, saying they are saddened by the events of today, and I will be talking to them tomorrow. We need to talk this through with MTCRC, the Council, English Heritage and other stakeholders to see how we move forward.

This Campaign is not ready to die just yet.

There will be more on the news page later.
Last edited by Nick on 08 Apr 2008, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby EAS » 07 Apr 2008, 20:06

I can't believe the trains were on site - hmmm.

But not a fixture or fitting, as 'loose' (but a sad loss...) and can be replicated no doubt...
EAS

Postby Nick » 07 Apr 2008, 20:16

EAS wrote:I can't believe the trains were on site - hmmm.

But not a fixture or fitting, as 'loose' (but a sad loss...) and can be replicated no doubt...

The trains have always been kept on-site in the workshop.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby vince69619 » 07 Apr 2008, 20:23

Yes, I remember three in the workshop and one on the track when Dave took us for a behind the scenes tour.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby EAS » 07 Apr 2008, 20:25

Bit eggs in one basket though, given the current situation!
EAS

Postby vince69619 » 07 Apr 2008, 20:31

Yes and no. Only two of the trains were maintained to a standard that were runnable, and they were both used on a good running day.

It wouldn't be practical to move them out 'incase' and even if we thought there was risk of fire, you are back to the issue of the ownership of the item and who can decide to move items offsite.

What's done is done now. Make them put it back as it was I say.

Vince.
vince69619

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum