Save The Coaster - San Diego Stylee

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Save The Coaster - San Diego Stylee

Postby porterm » 16 Oct 2003, 06:59

Hi everyone,

I've just visited San Diego's historic Belmont Park yesterday during my West Coast USA tour. I have bought a book of their local campaign which managed to save their 1925 Giant Dipper wooden coaster. I went on it loads of times, having been enticed by a young girl and her single mother to ride repeatedly with them.

Apparently after several fires which nearly destroyed the ride, the local authority "gifted" the ride to the "Save the Coaster Campaign". Along with the American Coaster Enthusiasts they restored the ride to its former glory. Their campaign has really inspired me and I believe if they achieved their goal we should also be able to. Their park also now only has handful of attractions, having had buildings added to about half of the former site. While I was there they were removing a Waltzer ride to be replaced with a Chaos ride soon.

I'll let you see the book on my return.

Bye for now,

Martin :D
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum