Godden Years

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Godden Years

Postby philfromhertford » 05 Jan 2004, 13:19

Can I just say thank you for this fantastic site about saving Dreamland a place which I first visited as a kid on a family holiday when it all seemed huge. Went there last November on the last weekend and it was a very sorry place. Thanks for the Godden Years photos but I have a question.

I visited the park in 1999 and I am convinced that there was a Looping Star there which wasn't the orange one, or the original Bembom one. Am I imagining this or did it exist? If so are there any photos of it?
philfromhertford

Postby Nick » 05 Jan 2004, 14:44

For a short time there was a smaller looping coaster at Dreamland. That would probably have been there in 1999. It is the sort of small looping coaster that you see at a lot of seaside resorts and it currently resides at Camelot Theme Park in Lancashire.

There are some photos of the ride here (at Camelot not Dreamland): http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery1649.htm

Is this the ride you remember?

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 06 Jan 2004, 01:37

Its certainly the one I remember but I never actually saw it running!
AJ

Postby philfromhertford » 06 Jan 2004, 08:55

That looks like it, and it had the words Looping Star written over the loop.
philfromhertford

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 24 Jan 2004, 22:24

The last six words on page 5 of the Godden Years pages are truly sad.

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Neil » 25 Jan 2004, 10:50

The small Looping Star was the only version I was ever lucky enough to ride. Despite being extremly rough on the old back it had a fantastically long que both times I was there. Apart from the back banging the only other slight problem was the lack of an official queue line. The less said about that the better. However nethertheless it was my first looping coaster and I have very fond memories.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum