Colin Kiddell

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Colin Kiddell

Postby Sarah » 06 Jan 2004, 12:11

Thanet Police has today announced that Colin Kiddell has been charged with the theft of an unknown quantity of cash from the Scenic Railway Trust. His case will be heard at Thanet Magistrates Court, Margate on 16 January.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby porf » 06 Jan 2004, 18:51

Well that made me smile on an otherwise dull Tuesday, glad it's finally got to court.

Good luck to anyone involved with the case, here's hoping this has a good outcome and that CK gets what he deserves (allegedly :wink: ).

The BBC news page has covered this at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3372585.stm
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby imansfield » 09 Jan 2004, 00:05

Yes, lets hope justice is done on this case. This is also a good time to remind everybody what a fantastic job Dave Collard did last year in keeping the Scenic Railway operarating even though he was left well and truly up excrement creek by Mr Kiddell. We really do owe him a big pat on the back for all the blood, sweat and tears he shed to keep the ride running for us. Lets just hope we will get the chance to ride the scenic again this season with Dave at the brakemans seat :D

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Postby porterm » 09 Jan 2004, 00:58

Hi all,

Nicely timed for the start of the new year. I just wonder why these cases appear to take so long to go to court though. I suppose it's the slow wheels of the legal system, and possibly a backlog of cases to blame here.

Sadly, I managed to miss all the local TV news items owing to work pressures. I won't say too much as I don't really want to speculate on events I wasn't really privy to. I now have a DVD recorder, so hopefully, when I eventually work out how to successfully record on it, I can re-edit my previous TV media stories on Dreamland. (So far the machine only seems to have erased everything I've attempted to record!) - shame I won't be able to include this story though.

Martin Porter
porterm

mmm i hate him!!

Postby spanky69 » 09 Jan 2004, 23:59

Had the delight of working with him when i worked for david and there's only one word for him ....but i cant say it sorry. When he was at work he didnt do a lot and not a lot of people liked him...ooh and that leather coat mmm nice touch!!
David is a little trooper and is still a good buddy...love ya man!!!

Caroline Pankhurst x
ex employee of dreamland and did some work for david c
spanky69

Postby Sarah » 19 Jan 2004, 13:38

Kiddell didn't enter a plea on Friday and the case has been adjourned until 6 February, again at Thanet Magistrates' Court, Margate. I assume this is to allow his solicitor more time to prepare for the hearing.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby AJ » 19 Jan 2004, 15:57

Cheers for the update Sarah!
AJ

Postby Sarah » 06 Feb 2004, 18:44

Am beginning to feel like an official court reporter here.

Kiddell entered a plea of not guilty in court today and his case has been adjourned to 2 April, again at Thanet Magistrates' Court, Margate.

Sarah Vickery, outside Thanet Magistrates' Court, reporting for the Save Dreamland Campaign. Back to the studio.
Sarah

Postby Alan » 10 Apr 2004, 18:48

The 2 April has gone and no news from Sarah, Any one know what the out come was.

Alan
Alan

Postby dave771 » 11 Apr 2004, 14:23

Just a quick one to let you all know that the case with Kiddell is still ongoing and cant make any further comment for the time being, as soon as there is news to report myself or Sarah will let you know.

Dave
dave771

Kiddell charges dropped

Postby dave771 » 30 Apr 2004, 21:44

Im sorry to have to inform you all that the local newspaper, Thanet Gazette has reported today that the charges against Kiddell have been discontinued by the Crown Prosecution Service. It was announced at Thanet Court on Tuesday that charges had been dropped. As you can imagine I am very unhappy about this decision so have no further comment to make for the time being as I may say something that could do more harm than good.

Regardless of this decision I would like to thank all of you for supporting Myself , Simon and John and the Scenic Railway during the 2003 season.

Dave
dave771

Colin Kiddell

Postby porterm » 01 May 2004, 20:36

Hello Dave,

I was extremely upset to hear about this verdict. I was just wondering if there was any recourse that can be taken, or is this to be the final verdict?
Words really fail me here, but as my late Nan used to say "people usually get their come uppance eventually". Take faith, and once again, I am sure I am not alone in thanking you and your co-workers for all last season's valiant efforts. I just hope that wasn't our final Scenic adventure.

By the way, just caught the item on "latest news" dated today re the World Fair advert for bodies to run a fair/ circus at Dreamland and/ or Folkestone seafront from Whitsun til early September. I hope something can happen there, even at this late stage, as Margate will surely suffer this season otherwise.

All the best for 2004

Martin
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum