Looping Star Being Dismantled

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Looping Star Being Dismantled

Postby Nick » 08 Feb 2003, 09:44

The Looping Star roller coaster is being dismantled from Dreamland this weekend. Apparently, the ride was only leased from Bembom Brothers anyway, as is the Bounty ride, which is going to be dismantled after the Looping Star. Apparently, Bemboms are going to lease the Looping Star to a park in Scotland. I wonder which park that is? Possibly Loudoun Castle? I also hear rumours that the Log Flume (which is owned by Dreamland) has a buyer as well.

On the positive side, wood is currently being replaced on the Scenic Railway in prepration for the new season.

More about this on the News page: http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/news.htm
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 08 Feb 2003, 11:21

Didn't Loudon have a Schwarzkopf Silver Arrow before, called Thunderloop Express?

I know Margate's Scenic Railway is listed, but it still seems peculiar to me to effectively begin the demolition of Dreamland as an amusement park (by removing these big rides), yet carry out maintenance on the Scenic Railway! I can't help but see it as something of a contradiction! Oh well, I suppose it is just one of Jimmy Godden's obligations.
Graeme

Postby Graeme » 08 Feb 2003, 12:07

Oh no, I've just seen Loudon had a genuine Looping Star, not a Silver Arrow.

Margate shifted its Looping Star to Loudoun and (eventually) replaced it with a Silver Arrow. Wouldn't it be ironic if Loudoun receives the Silver Arrow too (it no longer has the Looping Star)?
Graeme

Postby David » 08 Feb 2003, 20:39

The Looping Star went at the end of either the 1998 or 1999 season. It either went back to Bemboms yard in Margate (yes they are still there but not at the park of course!) or it could have gone back to Holland.

Has Loundon Castle got a buyer yet?
Ladies and Gentlemen you are about to board the Top Buzz
David

Postby Nick » 09 Feb 2003, 07:44

Actually, Bemboms are still at Dreamland. Their depot is on the park (next to the Wild Mouse coaster) - that is where they store all of their rides, all packed up. And, of course, there are still Bembom rides on Dreamland - but not for long!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby David » 11 Feb 2003, 16:26

some of the Bembom rides are still there like the Apollo but the bigger stuff like the two Looping Star coasters they owned didn't seem to be on the site when I last went in October 2001.
Ladies and Gentlemen you are about to board the Top Buzz
David

Postby Nick » 11 Feb 2003, 22:21

All the Bembom rides are going up to Loudoun Castle Theme Park, which has just been acquired by Bembom Brothers. Bemboms have been quiet on the theme park scene for far too long. They are excellent operators, so Loudoun should be a park to watch.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 13 Feb 2003, 14:14

I didn't realise Bembom Brothers owned any of the rides at Dreamland. I assumed they were all Jimmy Godden's. Does this mean that Dreamland won't be left with anything apart from the Scenic Railway?
Graeme

Postby Nick » 13 Feb 2003, 15:25

Bemboms owned the Looping Star (it was always owned by bemboms when it was at camelot), and they owned the Bounty ride. i believe that there may have been one other ride owned by them. All the other rides at Dreamland are owned by Jimmy Godden, and they should be staying for most of the season (Jimmy has had interest in some of the rides but is asking potential buyers to ait until September).

So there is still a reason to visit this year. Put Saturday 19th April in your diary - we have something very special planned for that day...announcement over the next couple of days.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 13 Feb 2003, 18:45

In all honesty, I wasn't overly fond of the Silver Arrow (Looping Star) anyway. Yes, it's a very neat, high-quality ride, but it was a bit too intense for a family audience, yet at the same time didn't have the multi-element appeal of something like Nemesis, Colossus or an SLC, so wouldn't impress thrillseekers that much either. Just my opinion anyway. Of course it's a very nice ride for Loudoun to have.

Dreamland could still be saved even if only the Scenic Railway was left standing. I think this coaster needs to be supported by a couple of thrill rides (I'd certainly buy a Frisbee now people have got used to one there, plus maybe a Mondial Inferno).

I do think it would be nice to have one thrill coaster, like the new 6-seater Maurer Sohne "modular" coaster.
Graeme

Schwarzkoph Silver Arrow

Postby Wilko » 28 Feb 2003, 11:21

I like the Silver Arrow although I have never ridden the one at Margate. The verion I rode was Scorpion at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Florida. In fact I believe the ride is still in my top ten steel coasters because it is the only looper I have ridden without over the shoulder restraints.
JawCoasters - UK Coaster Reviews, Pictures and Cartoons
http://www.jawcoasters.co.uk/
Wilko

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum