Working at Dreamland in the 1960's - a personal memoir

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Working at Dreamland in the 1960's - a personal memoir

Postby Sylvester Ritter » 15 Oct 2009, 20:48

Hi, i'm John, new to Forum, great cause - very personal to me. Please see an extract from my writing featuring my personal memories of working as a youngster at Dreamland.
It all started a long time ago. All short trousers and liquorice breath, I started working the summer seasons at Dreamland.

I was under old Bernie-boy – “Get that f****** shovel, you f****** idiot” he would say every morning. All the steps, several times a day near the old cages, I hated it and I hated him the p**** - I wanted to kill him and his ugly children, tear him into small pieces and feed him to my dogs.

But the magic always hit me when I walked through those gates. I stroked the plastic buzzard every morning as I walked in; laughing and joking with the brakemen and the other staff until work started.

Through bleary eyes I worked until dusk with only one tea break. Laughing and crying inside at the same time. I knew I needed drugs and there was no way out like a fox in a bush.

I’ll never forget the free rides, riding naked on The Scenic Railway, getting drunk and stealing Toffee Apples while I was
high as the proverbial kite and losing my virginity on The Sky Wheels. There was never any trouble. Budgie the organist saw to that.

I went back there with my children many years later in the late 1970’s – I was disappointed that my kids were more interested in Super Breakout and Boot Hill than going on the dodgems. It would be the last time I ever saw them.

Happy days, ups and downs, that’s what the old life business is all about. Let’s bring Dreamland back once and for all, for good.

Happy days, ups and downs, that’s what the old life business is all about. Let’s bring Dreamland back once and for all, for good. Thank you.

John
Last edited by Sylvester Ritter on 03 Nov 2009, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvester Ritter

Postby dreamland » 18 Oct 2009, 17:07

some of the words you have used in your post john can be seen as quite disturbing and its not exeptable for young children to be reading!
dreamland

Postby dave771 » 19 Oct 2009, 21:23

For obvious reasons as *Dreamland* has already mentioned the above post has been edited where required.
dave771

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 21 Oct 2009, 22:29

Good to hear from you. The group needs positive voices, not just here, but in the community.
I hadn't considered riding the Scenic Railway naked, but I'm game if everyone else wants to.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby dreamland » 22 Oct 2009, 09:35

would be great to see some female flesh lol
dreamland

Postby vince69619 » 22 Oct 2009, 10:07

:wink: I don't think this is likely to catch on!

Behave yourselves!

Vince. :D
vince69619

Postby Hairy Vince » 24 Nov 2009, 09:33

I don't think I will be partaking in this type of action at the grand re-opening!!!
Hairy Vince

Re: Working at Dreamland in the 1960's - a personal memoir

Postby Hairy Vince » 28 Mar 2015, 01:47

Just to confirm as per my previous post I will not be considering this for the re-opening!
Hairy Vince

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum