Fairground organs in the new heritage park

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby "KING OF THE FLUMER » 03 Jan 2010, 09:39

As this is to be a "HERITAGE PARK" featuring rides from the past one thing that has not been mentioned so far is the subject of music on rides.There should be none of the dreadful din of amplified noise one hears on rides these days,but instead we should be treated to the sounds of the past with the organ music provided by real live fairground organs. There is now a thriving interest in mechanical organs,and there are many groups devoted to the preservation of these instruments.It is safe to assume that fairground organs played in dreamland in its heyday,and does the dreamland Trust have any organs in storage,or knows of individuals who have organs and would like to offer them on permanent loan to the dreamland trust? Also does anyone know of any of the organs that used to be in Dreamland?would it be possible to find them?Also it would be wonderful if there could be space set aside for Visiting Mechanical organs? As many of the surviving Historical Fairground organs are mobile and travel all over the uk and these would be a great Attraction.
As "KING OF THE FLUMERS" I myself many years ago experienced the now historic SCENIC RAILWAY,It is my greatest wish to see it restored to its former glory and splendor and to experience it once again.
"KING OF THE FLUMER

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 07 Jan 2010, 02:39

This is a great idea and if you could do some research or post some ads somewhere... There must be free want ads in your area online somewhere. Perhaps Craigslist has made it over the pond.

You never know when someone will come forward with one they've had in storage. They can be cost prohibitive to restore, but that's what fund raising and donations are for.

Dreamland will come together with hard work. This would be something you could look into with minimal effort and possibly a wonderful result.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 07 Jan 2010, 17:12

Well, it gets my vote, standing right in front of a Limonaire organ which is belting out the Radetzky March at top speed is one of those things that has always made goose bumps appear all over my arms.

EDIT- I looked on YouTube and there's plenty of great fairground organ footage there, I'm still looking for the Radetzky March but meantime, for anyone interested, I found this footage of two children younger than Charlie and Sam knocking out a fantastic version of it on a piano...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-S3jGnAqQ

This Strauss waltz is the one piece which most comes to mind for me when thinking about mechanical fairground music.

I've always wanted to restore a fairground organ, I'll have to have a look on eBay next time I've had too much to drink! :wink:
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby EAS » 09 Jan 2010, 11:26

As long as I can recall, and I go back a long way, amusement parks (and travelling fairs, a different issue really though) have had the 'latest' music belting out!

I wonder what 'blasts from the past' each era that Dreamland will have representative rides from we could put together as suitable soundtrack?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby Marky66 » 12 Jan 2010, 21:34

For me whenever I recall riding or simply watching dodgems/bumper cars I always seem to hear 50s Rock and Roll in my head, hearing Jungle Rock on Chris Montez' Lets Dance just fits.
Marky66

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 20 Jan 2010, 00:59

Hmm. This guy just seemed to pop on and tell us what the park needs, but then disappeared without any help on making these things happen.
We need doers, not talkers.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby John Humphrey » 12 Apr 2010, 16:02

There is a large Gavioli that travels extensively - it is usually to be found at the Island Steam Show at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway over the August Bank Holiday. It used to be attached to a Scenic Railway in South Wales. I have often thought that this one ought to be at Dreamland. Perhaps, too, it would be a good idea to establish liaison with the earlier-generation heritage fun fair at Hollycombe near Liphook.
John Humphrey
John Humphrey

FAIRGROUND ORGANS IN THE NEW HERITAGE THEME PARK

Postby "KING OF THE FLUMER » 14 Apr 2010, 09:51

The organ you are referring to is the world famous WHITE BROTHERS MAMMOTH GAVIOLI COLISEUM ORGAN (which is its correct name) which is the largest organ ever built by Gavioli.This is only one of two "GRADE 1 LISTED FAIRGROUND ORGANS" (the other is the equally famous ANDERTON AND ROWLAND MARENGHI) that we have in the uk both of which are the most historic fairground organs of all that remain virtually as they were since the early 1900s. It is also worth mentioning that large fairground organs of this size and power are certainly not a thing of the past! As there are now several modern examples built in recent years like THE VERBEEK CENTENERY ORGAN,anyone seen this one? Any of the aforementioned should be encouraged to visit dreamland as provision for visiting fairground organs is an excellent idea,as this is something that could be done to raise funds to get the park up and running before it is ready to open.
As "KING OF THE FLUMERS" I myself many years ago experienced the now historic SCENIC RAILWAY,It is my greatest wish to see it restored to its former glory and splendor and to experience it once again.
"KING OF THE FLUMER

Postby EAS » 14 Apr 2010, 10:01

Grade I Listed? Listed by whom? Travelling organs don't seem to feature on the DCMS national listings of buildings and structures of historic and architectural importance (the national list), unless I've missed something in the search?

Scenic Railway does... only one of two historic rides listed (Hull waterchute being the other).
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

FAIRGROUND ORGANS IN THE NEW HERITAGE PARK

Postby "KING OF THE FLUMER » 15 Apr 2010, 09:15

I must explain that unfortunately although they are not listed in the official sense by dcms these are the 2 most historic fairground organs in the uk and are of such historical importance that they should be if a system for listing mechanical organs existed.In the netherlands mechanical organs ARE LISTED like buildings are here! and what i mean is that these 2 most historic fairground organs are regarded by devotees as BEING WORTHY OF THIS HONOUR if only mehcanical organs WERE TAKEN SERIOSLY LIKE THEY ARE IN THE NETHERLANDS!IT is about time they were!
"KING OF THE FLUMER

Postby EAS » 15 Apr 2010, 10:19

But we don't here list things which can be moved, like organs, historic vehicles, or certain fairground rides.

We list buildings and structures which are fixed.
EAS

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 16 Apr 2010, 18:47

Well, no matter.
If you'd like to start looking into an organ for Dreamland, King Flumer, it would be much appreciated. If you think Dreamland needs one, then see what you can start doing to make it happen. Nobody better than someone who already has an interest in them and would know where to begin searching or who to start asking for leads.
Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr. on 19 Apr 2010, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby EAS » 16 Apr 2010, 21:07

Or perhaps run it past those responsible for the site planning and development first?
EAS

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 20 Apr 2010, 17:44

Mr. Flumer is pretty good at telling us what we should have, but hasn't offered any information on sourcing such an item. Perhaps a neglected instrument could be obtained and refurbished.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 20 Apr 2010, 21:28

Being the ever-so-resourceful one, I've found a few groups that may be of future interest.

Fair Organ Preservation Society. Many enthusiasts and owners as members.
http://www.fops.org/

Mechanical Organ Owners Society. Another group of enthusiasts and owners.
http://www.moos.org.uk/

Dean Organ Builders. Repair and broker vintage organs. For sale section.
http://www.deanorganbuilders.co.uk/
[/url]
Jim Douglas Jr.

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum