Margate contrast with Ramsgate

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Margate contrast with Ramsgate

Postby Alan » 09 Feb 2003, 13:33

Jimmy Godden owner closed a seafront fun fair in Ramsgate, More people holiday in Margate because Dreamland is the main holiday attraction, Margate will become a 'Has been' 'Ghost' almost derelict resort similar to Ramsgate if Dreamland is demolished.

Alan
Last edited by Alan on 09 Feb 2003, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Postby bigkirby » 09 Feb 2003, 15:01

The whole idea to try and eliminate Dreamland Park from the city seems so shortsighted. It is such an obvious mistake that the public officials can't see that.
bigkirby

Postby Fraser » 09 Feb 2003, 19:19

I wonder if the public officials are really as short sighted as they appear to be...or whether there is some really dodgy underhand deal being struck. Whatever the reason - I'm sure that the save Dreamland campaign will kick up the necessary fuss.
Fraser

Postby Graeme » 09 Feb 2003, 19:30

That's the thing. When I look at seasides on the map, I visualise what facilities they have, and if they are just a beach and sea I rarely bother with them. If Margate doesn't want to remain a resort, good luck to them - hopefully they can get something the town's young adults can enjoy like a shopping mall - but if they do, I do think you can't beat a thriving amusement park as a seaside feature.
Graeme

Postby Nick » 09 Feb 2003, 20:43

The park's owner has admitted that he is only doing it for the development land value, and not because the park isn't viable (see the Save Dreamland News page: http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/news.htm).

Now if you look at the FAQ page on the Save Dreamland website (http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/faq.htm), you will notice that the Local Plan makes it clear that the Council will not allow Dreamland to be redeveloped. If that is what the Plan says (and it is a new plan), you have to ask yourself, why is the council disregarding it?

But that isn't all. PPG15 states that "The Secretaries of State would not expect consent to demolition to be given simply because redevelopment is economically more attractive to the developer than repair and re-use of a historic building..." Yet that seems to be the only reason for the current proposals.

It really does make you wonder what Dreamland would be like operated by somebody else. Compare Dreamland to nearby(ish) Adventure Island - where are all the cafes, the gift shops, where is the website, where are the press releases and adverts, where is the coach and group booking department, where is the investment? If it closes now because the council is too afraid to enforce its own policies, then it would be a real shame. They would only have themselves to blame.
Nick
Site Admin

Margate Contrast With Ramsgate

Postby porterm » 12 Feb 2003, 05:22

Does anyone remember the sudden inferno which destroyed the former amusements facility in Ramsgate a few years back? I wonder if this was just coincidence.

If any attempt at redeveloping the Dreamland site begins one can only hope that the infamous former ice skating rink ghost will haunt the unwelcome developer intruders. I sincerely hope it has the last laugh.

With a well orchestrated park saviour campaign I would like to think that the above will be totally unnecessary. Although I do not object in any way to the spirit world partaking in our unified campaign.

From Martin Porter

(Maidstone, Kent)
porterm

Postby Ian » 12 Feb 2003, 08:30

That Ramsgate fire has always been thought dodgy locally. In fact, when I told a friend of mine about the listing of the Scenic Railway and the closure of the park, he said something along the lines of an "accidental" fire. Mind you, I can't say I share his scepticism :wink: :wink:
Ian

Postby Alan » 12 Feb 2003, 20:22

Ramsgate main amusements had been closed a number of years before the fire and the fun fair before that.

Alan
Alan

Postby coasternutter » 07 Mar 2003, 20:36

It was not just the amusements in Ramsgate that have suffered.
The whole town is now looking run down and dirty.
I can see Margate going the same way if Dreamland closes.
coasternutter

Leaflets

Postby Neil » 22 Mar 2003, 16:50

I am a keen collector of them park leaflets and have over 100. Several are for Dreamland and the Rotunda however there is a gap for the last few years. Am I right in thinking they have stopped publishing leaflets? I bet they don't want visitors so it make their argument look good.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Graeme » 23 Mar 2003, 12:24

Last year I went to both Dreamland and Rotunda and did obtain 2002 leaflets for each. However, I only picked them up on-park! I'm not saying they weren't available in local tourist information places, but they had stopped reaching my part of Essex, which they always used to when it was Bembom Brothers.
Graeme

Postby Alan » 23 Mar 2003, 22:30

Supermarkets in Kent had leflets for Dreamland and Rotunda last year, But not this year.

Alan
Alan

Postby AJ » 24 Mar 2003, 09:56

I remember back in the day when we used to get leaflets for Bembom Brothers in Welwyn Garden City which is a good 105 miles away!!!!!!!
AJ

Postby Nick » 24 Mar 2003, 20:43

Ironically, you can get leaflets for Southend's Adventure Island from Margate! They have obviously identified a hole in the market!

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby coasternutter » 04 Apr 2003, 19:52

Up unyil last year the Tourist Information office in Herne Bay had flyers for both Dreamland and the Rotunda but none this year.
coasternutter

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum