Geauga Lake Dipper now half price

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 30 Aug 2010, 23:13

I sent this to Cedar Fair, parent company of Cedar Point, home of more coasters than any other park.
------------------

Re: Geauga Lake Big Dipper.

Hi there.
Not sure who's getting this, but go where you have to and plant this idea. You may come off looking like the company forward thinker.

The Geauga Lake Big Dipper rollercoaster is now up for sale on eBay for a bargain price. Cedar Point is my home park, and this very narrow 1925 era out and back coaster would probably not be difficult to install somewhere in the park. Being near by, transportation costs would be reduced and the cost of dismantling, restoration, and reassembly would be a fraction of what a new attraction of a similar scale would be.

The nostalgia value of returning a genuinely old coaster to the park has INCREDIBLE PR VALUE. Enthusiasts lament the loss of previous Cedar Point coasters and would flock to the Point to ride this John Miller classic. It's quite a bit longer than the Blue Streak, narrow with a slight bend, and is the 6th oldest coaster still standing in operating condition.

I really believe this is an historic opportunity.
Sure, not at all what's expected, but could be just what the park needs to reignite a buzz about it. It's a win/win for everyone. The park, Cedar Fair, the visitors, and the Dipper.

Please forward this to anyone at the company who will listen and is smart enough to see a grand opportunity.

Kyle Sund
San Francisco, CA
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 29 Nov 2010, 22:03

Looks like the coaster has been bought and plans to dismantle it are under way.

http://www.savethebigdipper.org/
Cedar Fair, who OWNS THE PARK, missed a grand opportunity to move this coaster to Cedar Point, their flagship park not 50 miles away.
Apparently it was virtually completely rebuilt in 1980 with pressure treated lumber and is in good condition.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby zamfir » 12 Apr 2011, 09:24

The Starliner is an awesome coaster - not sure whether it is still on the former Cypress Gardens site though.

I remember reading that the new park owners were considering using one of the former Cypress Gardens coasters, in the new Legoland Park.
zamfir

Postby vann98 » 12 Apr 2011, 09:55

The star liner is long gone from cypress gardens. I'm not sure where it went to though. The coaster which is part of the new legoland park is the old triple hurricane wooden coaster. Think they may have kept the old suspended one as well.
vann98

Postby zamfir » 13 Apr 2011, 11:19

Thanks for the info Vann, shan't be visiting Legoland then :-)

Such a shame.
zamfir

Postby Marky66 » 17 Apr 2011, 09:29

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20 ... city-beach

Plans are underway to return the starliner to panama city. I remember reading though that when the people at Merlin dismantled the ride they didnt treat it kindly and the timber was pretty much dumped in plies like scrap timber rather than numbered and stacked in order to make rebuilding easy but I suppose we all know Merlin have no reguard for wooden coasters and prefer to build overhyped mid sized steelies that turn into headbangers within their first year!

It's a shame though, it's just the type of ride I'd love to see in margate, nothing better than the sight of an out and back woodie with ocean in the background.
Marky66

Postby Peet » 18 Apr 2011, 18:51

The ride will be equiped with a new magnetic braking system - very strange indeed as I can only imagine the people who most want to save the Starliner will be against this, and it will only add to the cost.
Peet

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum