Park queries?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 14 Feb 2011, 21:42

Bob, that's really a good idea. It's good to see you posting something constructive.
I'm of the opinion the park should have two entrances, at least. One at either end.

If the current alleyway entrance is to be kept, it should have a bright, attractive new facade at the STREET, not way back.
The current setup might as well say "Hey, come down this dark, shadowy, unattractive alley to get to something that might not be much better."
Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr. on 18 Feb 2011, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porterm » 15 Feb 2011, 03:30

In the days prior to Bemboms taking over I recall the park did indeed have two entrances; there was one to the left perimeter boundary roughly opposite the Scenic Railway station. If one counted the former car park entrance, near the Water chute structure, then there could have actually been three. This was of course pre- the "pay one price" entrance era.

The rear left side park entrance/exit had two tall pillars either side, and my rather hazy memory seems to recall a horizontal, or arched, sign atop them. (I do recall a sloping platform spinning ride to its left at that time; late 70s I'm quite sure).

I personally wouldn't like to see the main "alley/tunnel" entrance disappear really as I always thought it offered a rather unassuming precursor to a somewhat hidden, magical land on the other side. It could, however, do with some better signage to draw the unsuspecting punter or new visitor to the area from the promenade as Jim mentioned.

Martin
porterm

Postby Alan » 15 Feb 2011, 07:23

If the cable car is going on to the beach, that would make a good entrance too as you can see it all over Margate sea front !

Alan
Alan

Postby woody » 16 Feb 2011, 10:28

Alan wrote:If the cable car is going on to the beach, that would make a good entrance too as you can see it all over Margate sea front !

Alan

i heard a rumor flamingo land are removing their cable car at the moment :idea:

worth someone checking from dreamland?
woody

Postby kevinashe » 16 Feb 2011, 11:58

i thought the park took southports cableway when pleasureland closed down
kevinashe

Postby Nick » 16 Feb 2011, 18:41

Yes, we have Pleasureland's cable car ride in storage.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby vann98 » 16 Feb 2011, 19:41

That should be interesting. Dreamlands never had one of those before.
Hopefully when the park reopens we will gradually raise enough money to rescue some more vintage rides.

Such a shame the Runaway coaster from the rotunda in folkstone was demolished around 2007. Would have worked well in the park. :(
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 16 Feb 2011, 19:47

Yup.
It had recently been renovated (2000) and they didn't bother to offer it to anyone.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby AJ » 21 Feb 2011, 20:05

Jim Douglas Jr. wrote:Yup.
It had recently been renovated (2000) and they didn't bother to offer it to anyone.

From what I remember Jim there was bit of a story to it. Nick had either found a new home or was getting it put in too storage, the deal was supposed to be done then bosh JG just flattend it with out any notice. (I think that was right VC&S will probably remember better than me)
AJ

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 21 Feb 2011, 22:35

AJ wrote:
Jim Douglas Jr. wrote:Yup.

From what I remember Jim there was bit of a story to it. Nick had either found a new home or was getting it put in too storage, the deal was supposed to be done then bosh JG just flattend it with out any notice. (I think that was right VC&S will probably remember better than me)

That's a pretty accurate summing up and I can't add anything to it.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby kevinashe » 22 Feb 2011, 15:08

nick i take it the cable car system from southport hadnt changed over the years as i remember in the 80s the footprints on the ground and the cars coming along behind and you having to do a small jump to get onto the seats
kevinashe

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 22 Feb 2011, 20:53

This Godden dude seems like kind of a jerk, destroying anything he thinks could end up as competition in the future.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Nick » 22 Feb 2011, 23:42

kevinashe wrote:nick i take it the cable car system from southport hadnt changed over the years as i remember in the 80s the footprints on the ground and the cars coming along behind and you having to do a small jump to get onto the seats

That's exactly the one!
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby woody » 23 Feb 2011, 03:23

hi nick

how does the planning permission stand? if a site is not used for a number of years as a amusement park would it lose its use? i am guessing that for every ride change you would have to get PP? if all ride where removed would the land use still stand?

cheers
woody

Postby Nick » 23 Feb 2011, 22:35

No, the site remains an amusement park until its use either changes or is abandoned. Although the rides have been removed the site has not been abandoned in planning terms as the clear intention has been to reinstate it (and policies in the Local Plan back that up).

Planning permission is not required for any new rides below 25m high in Dreamland. The Council has confirmed that to us in writing.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum