sad news for all our campainers.and margate

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

sad news for all our campainers.and margate

Postby dreamland » 02 Apr 2004, 11:07

in the thanet gazzette today the headline on the front page is. end of the ride.its sad to hear that dreamland is not to open this year.iam devestated.
dreamland

Thanet Gazette Front Page Headline

Postby porterm » 02 Apr 2004, 17:52

Hi all,

Although this headline in the afore-mentioned publication does not make for good reading I would guess that it may be well worded to grab the headlines, and possibly pull up its circulation figures. In this country we never seem to like printing much positive news. This is probably the optimum Dreamland story the newspaper would like to run with; I suspect typically negative in its style and presentation. (I must say I have not had the "pleasure" to view it).

However, I do not think anyone should despair just yet, as although I hate to say it, I expect a Dreamland run at "half mast" would not be the most attractive option for the park's long-term future prospects. I understand that many of the former rides are either now sold or going through that process. It just might be best for now to concentrate on the park's regeneration plan and relaunch the park when it has been fully transformed, under new caring owners, one can only hope.

I am sure everyone is working towards that goal. I will be attending the Thanet Local Plan Informal Meeting in June to voice my views. If everyone also responds to the Thanet Masterplan then that would also be a great help.

Whilst this news is not the most welcome (assuming it is true) I suspect if the Scenic Railway was operated this season as the sole attraction, whilst welcome for enthusiasts and the like, it may not be in everyone's best interests.

Martin
porterm

Postby Sarah » 02 Apr 2004, 22:40

The Gazette has indeed broken the news that Dreamland will not be opening this season. However, sad as this is, Martin makes a very valid point; Dreamland's long-term future would not be served well if it were to open again as an even weaker shadow of its former self. This is most certainly not the end of the ride - the fight goes on and we will continue to work towards securing a future for the park.

I will send the full report - which is predictably rather negative - to Nick so it an be added to the Latest News page.

Chins up - it's only a temporary closure! Logic will prevail.

Sarah
Sarah

your right sarah

Postby dreamland » 03 Apr 2004, 09:09

hi sarah its chris here from margate.im the one that posted the topic.yer chins up hey.just think thow.if godden never opens the park again,then someone else takes over dreamland.just think the next time dreamland opens it will be so good,so advanced and high teck it will be unbelievable.ill be going to dreamland every week.theres one thing also that we have to think about.now if in say 2 years time dreamland is saved with the scenic railway the best ever coaster in the world.we have to make sure that we dont get in to this mess again.if it gets taken over just say the new owners have dreamland for 10 years then after that they want to sell up.we have to make sure that the next owners want a theme park unlike jimmy godden.because if we get someone else like godden after the next owners we would be in the same mess as we are today.would the scenic still run if it hasent been used for like 2 years?
dreamland

Postby Cheryl » 06 Apr 2004, 12:41

Well what a surprise! T.D.C. assuring the campaigns involvement in the Masterplan and doesn't, and furthermore, not having the courtesy of briefing the consultants regarding operators who wish to acquire the site. As for the Gazette, what a disgrace of a local newspaper they are. Sorry, but I am really hot under the collar, how Sarah and Nick are feeling, I can only imagine is beyond fury.

T.D.C. appear to be treating us as numbskulls whose opinions and evidence of what Dreamland could become, is being ignored and totally overlooked.

Sarah and Dave are probably more aware of feeling among locals, I really hope it is pro-Dreamland.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum