Opening delayed - report from Isle of Thanet Gazette

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Opening delayed - report from Isle of Thanet Gazette

Postby Nick Evans » 18 Feb 2011, 19:12

I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings but here is a link to the Isle of Thanet Gazette story announcing that Dreamland's reopening has slipped back to 2013 - complications over land transfer apparently. A little depressing but let's hope things aren't held up too much.
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/theme- ... ticle.html
Nick Evans

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 18 Feb 2011, 19:22

Frankly I would have been more surprised if they had announced that bears defecated in woodland areas.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby vann98 » 18 Feb 2011, 20:26

Well that really is a shame. But I have got to be honest, Iam not surprised at all. Work still has not started on site and it was meant to be reopening next year.
vann98

Postby porterm » 18 Feb 2011, 22:46

Sad news really, especially after all the years we've been waiting since the launch of this Campaign way back in January 2003. It's certainly been a long, enduring experience only for those with a hardy dedication, so I guess a ten year or so wait for the reopening ceremony won't really be too traumatic.

As I'm sure I've commented before, maybe this could be a converse blessing in disguise as it will not now have the Olympic frenzy competition. On the other hand some might say launching the park in the same year as the aforementioned might have been more beneficial to lure some visitor numbers during the Games, from those seeking some more diverse entertainment. With the media spotlight on the Games next year it could indeed bode well for increased potential UK tourism the following year. That would obviously be to the advantage of the new Dreamland offering, so it could be a "win win" situation either way.

Let's hope there are not too many further delays in fulfilling this project.

Martin :(
porterm

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 19 Feb 2011, 00:53

Well, a lot of work needs to be done. A LOT. We don't really want it to open as the concrete slab it is now/has been for years anyway, right?
When it opens, it needs to be dazzling and beautiful. Trees, grass, and everything just so.
I'm disappointed, too, but I thought 2012 was sort of unrealistic.

We just have to remember to keep on it, not get complacent. Volunteers need to be found and funds raised. It needs to stay in the public eye, and not just as "that thing that they keep promising will happen but never seems to."
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby timj » 19 Feb 2011, 07:35

How come there's no announcement from Nick Laister or whoever is in charge, we have had to hear from the local newspaper when surely supporters should know first?!

Nothing on www.dreamlandmargatecom or www.savedreamland.co.uk either, just something about a circus?!!

Tim
timj

Postby vann98 » 19 Feb 2011, 09:14

^There is on the main news page.
vann98

Postby dave771 » 19 Feb 2011, 10:12

We have no control over what goes in the local press and when something is reported in the press we do put it on the news page for our supporters as and when we get the time.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby jan@dreamlandmargate.com » 19 Feb 2011, 15:34

Press release available under News and Events on the Dreamland Margate website www.dreamlandmargate.com.
Jan Leandro
Audience Development Officer
Dreamland Margate
jan@dreamlandmargate.com

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 19 Feb 2011, 19:10

Here's what MTCRC say...

Toby Hunter, from MTCRC, said the issue of land transfers was a "red herring" and that the real issue was that Thanet council was unable to agree how much development would be allowed on the remainder of the site.

The MTCRC wants to build new homes and has been trying to work with Thanet council on the number and type of dwellings.

Mr Hunter said: "The question is why is Thanet council pursuing a CPO at all? We are supposed to be working together, but that has become very frustrating as it is not clear what the council actually wants from the enabling development.

"We have a 16-acre site and are being asked to give up eight acres for the heritage amusement park. We are happy to do that, but we need to know what we are going to get in return."

Mr Hunter said that MTCRC had bought the Dreamland site for £12 million, but that Thanet council would hope to use a CPO to obtain the land for about £3 million. He dubbed land valuation "a dark art, not an exact science".

Mr Hunter added: "This is now not about urban regeneration but about a vendetta. The people have got to ask if they have trust in the council as custodians of their money."

Pretty strong language.

So what's the truth? Are TDC dishonest in their dealings with MTCRC and untrustworthy with our Council Tax as Toby Hunter says, or are MTCRC simply trying to stall the land transfer using underhand methods in an attempt to avoid handing over the land they claim they are happy to hand over?
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 22 Feb 2011, 20:56

We've seen evidence of both, so that can't make for good negotiations.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 22 Feb 2011, 21:17

It's First Blood to Toby Hunter, since TDC haven't made any statement about the reason behind the breakdown in negotiations and do not seem keen to do so.

Personally, I think that if MTCRC are prepared to hand over eight acres of the sixteen acre site, then they should be allowed to do whatever they want with their own eight acres.

Perhaps TDC will issue a statement explaining their stance later in the week.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby dave771 » 22 Feb 2011, 22:07

If the news item is read in full you will see that a spokesman from Thanet council has commented on their reasons for a possible CPO.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 22 Feb 2011, 22:11

I have read it, but all that we can be sure of is that one or other of them isn't telling the truth. It's not us, that's for sure, we are the only honest people in the equation!
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum