Budapest's Scenic Railway Photos

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Budapest's Scenic Railway Photos

Postby porterm » 11 Mar 2011, 15:36

Hi all

I'm not sure if everyone's aware but apparently the closest existing Scenic Railway trains to match our Margate version are at Vidampark, Budapest. I eventually got to visit the park last August and thought I'd let you see some shots I got of the ride, which I thought was very impressive for its time (1926) according to rcdb.com.

It looked like they had at least around ten (yes ten!) trains in the station. Sadly I couldn't get to talk to any technical people as I visited on a Sunday and hadn't got round to trying to contact the park prior to my rather sudden visit.

Here's my photo album link; http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/ ... 20Railway/

Hope we can possibly have one of two trains for the revived Margate Scenic (note: the seats actually had heavy springs attached to them; rather unusual)

Martin :D
porterm

Postby porterm » 11 Mar 2011, 16:13

Hi all

Further to my last post, I've just found a great video of this ride on the park's website. It shows how it literally runs parallel to the freeway (a shot I didn't include in my previous photo album link). Very well produced video I thought; http://www.vidampark.hu/2009/eng/jatekok2.php?g=14

Martin :D

PS I think you'll just need to click the video window link (hope it displays ok)
porterm

Postby vann98 » 11 Mar 2011, 16:21

Cant say Iam wild on those dragon heads at all!
Interesting pictures though, other than the heads, the trains look allmost identical to the former dreamland ones.
vann98

Postby dave771 » 11 Mar 2011, 19:34

These trains are very similar in design but I agree that the dragon heads arent as attractive as the ones we had at Margate. No reason why new heads couldn't be carved for these trains. One other difference is that this ride doesn't operate with the same braking system. These trains are operated by foot pedals rather that a hand brake.

Whoever gets the contract to rebuild the Scenic may contact this park to agree a deal but that would be their decision as to how they go about the new trains for the Margate Scenic.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 14 Mar 2011, 19:17

Did any of the trucks survive (running gear/wheel assemblies).
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum