Turner Centre Opening

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Turner Centre Opening

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 15 Apr 2011, 16:26

Just wondering if anybody is planning to be at the opening ceremony tomorrow? We are going to go down and take a look, I'll post some pics.

I found this quote earlier, which made me laugh!

The boxy white building has been likened by some to a fish-processing plant.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Zoidstar » 15 Apr 2011, 22:26

There are very tentative plans for a new museum in Southend, it is planned for the sera of the cliffs that collapsed the estimated cost is currently £50million!

(Google AWE architects Southend Cliffs Museum)

Have to say its an impresive design, its planned thats the Saxon King's burial chamber relics , which was discoverd in 2003 will go on display these considted over 140 items including gold-rimmed drinking horns, a gold belt dating between 600-640AD,Byzantine silver spoon and the only gold foil crosses ever founf in the UK

The museum will also house collections currently at Southend Central Museum and the Beecroft Art Gallery in Westcliff as well as the stored items and touring exhibitions.

Sadly its likely never too happen, there is an estimated 10year build time and protesters against it as well as council members who seem to have an allergic reaction to investment and job creation...
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Re: Turner Centre Opening

Postby Bob » 16 Apr 2011, 07:11

Vince, Charlie and Sam wrote:Just wondering if anybody is planning to be at the opening ceremony tomorrow? We are going to go down and take a look, I'll post some pics.

I found this quote earlier, which made me laugh!

The boxy white building has been likened by some to a fish-processing plant.

Looks like a pile of portacabins with slopping roof. If that heap costs £17M someone has made a fortune. It is not even in keeping with the historic old harbour.

Mind you the exhibts are even worse. I wonder how much they paid for some oversized globes that hang from the ceiling in an empty room.

Image[/img]
Bob

Postby EAS » 17 Apr 2011, 08:46

Huge amount of press interest, massive queues yesterday, positive reviews.

Chipperfield is a major, major architect; time will tell if this is one of his better works. Everything was new once, so much we now admire was contoversial when new.

I think Hugh Pearman has done a piece in Sunday Times today but it's behind a paywall.

BBC: Thousands queued to be among first to visit Margate's new Turner Contemporary art gallery, opened by Tracey Emin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-13104301

Sky News on David Chipperfield's Turner Contemporary: Margate Looks To Modern Art For Regeneration

http://tinyurl.com/3grhvf5

Great interview where Tracey Emin talks up Margate and Dreamland & Shell Grotto... about 4 mins in... (and er... Margate Caves...)

Daily Mail: Is Margate the new St.Ives?

http://bit.ly/g2XXE1

Nick was at the opening. No doubt we will hear more of his positive views in due course (in more than 140 characters :wink: )

Bob, being as negative as ever! Not been right yet but still he plods on eh Bob? :roll:
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby blue » 18 Apr 2011, 12:45

The local news has just reported up to 14,000 people visited the Turner Centre over the weekend.

Surely if they can attract that number, what could the park attract? I know its only the opening few days, must it looks promising!
blue

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 18 Apr 2011, 18:04

Hopefully, as the years pass, the quality of the exhibits will go up!
I'm sure it will.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby vann98 » 18 Apr 2011, 19:13

I have got to be honest this new gallery is turning out to be alot more popular than I thought it was going to be. I have seen various clips of it in the news and on various review shows, as well as in a few magazines. Even a random people I know are interested in it.

Lets hope Dreamland will have the same sort of effect only bigger when it reopens in 2013.
vann98

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 21 Apr 2011, 13:28

In the news for all the wrong reasons this week...

Margate's £17 million showpiece gallery has been branded the Turn Away Contemporary by angry and disappointed visitors.

People turning up yesterday were greeted by closed doors and a notice saying the gallery was shut, and staff were stationed outside to pass on the message in person.

The main complaint is that the "closed on Monday" message was not made obvious enough - on the gallery's website, in literature handed out or in press, radio and TV broadcasts. Disappointed visitors say the words "gallery now open. Free admission" were displayed at the top of the homepage on the Turner Contemporary website on Monday.

The general perception in all the advanced publicity is that Turner Contemporary was open from April 16-25 as part of a massive 10-day welcoming celebration.

Primary school teacher Julie Simpson from Canterbury planned to take her children - Rosie, 15; Poppy,13; and Charlie 11 - plus her mother who was on holiday visiting from Liverpool.

She said: "All the hype said that Turner Contemporary is opening with a massive 10-day celebration. We were urged to come along and be part of Margate's great new attraction and support the town.

"We did it and wished we hadn't bothered. It was shut. There were people on the steps turning folk away. One of the staff even had the nerve to tell me I should know that all art galleries shut on a Monday."

I never knew all art galleries shut on a Monday either.

They say that there is no such thing as bad taste, only other peoples', but on this I do completely agree with Bob. It is the right building in the wrong location, and is totally out of keeping with the historic harbour. It is like building a branch of Tesco next to Stonehenge. I struggled for ages to think of something positive to say about it and the best I could come up with was "at least it's not as bad as Arlington House".

I hope it is successful, not least for the traders in the Old Town where we have seen enormous improvements in anticipation of the visitors the Turner Contemporary might bring- although my personal feeling is that after the initial rush, visitor numbers will dwindle to the numbers seen by similar recently built Art Centres, such as West Bromwich Arts Centre, built for similar vanity reasons of trying to "raise the tone" of the town and planned when the economy was awash with money.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jan/28/public-arts-centre-west-bromwich

Dreamland could have been re-opened years ago, for a fraction of the cost, requiring no further subsidy, would create far more employment and bring far more money into the area than the Turner Contemporary ever will, a point on which I am sure even Bob would agree. :wink:
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby porterm » 22 Apr 2011, 12:04

Oops! - I know my hairdresser always closes on Mondays (whether there's any parallel there I do not really know).

I guess this "pitfall" is just the first of aiming to partake in the cultural society; one has to be really switched on with these types of establishments or do one's initial pre-visit homework. Maybe the closed Monday scenario has some historic routes to it or is a global policy for galleries. (I can't say I've ever noticed as I've very rarely visited such places, and can only really recall the Paul Getty museum in Los Angeles that I visited about five or so years ago).

Martin

PS I can entirely concur with your Dreamland opening comment though Vince!
porterm

Postby 1234567890 » 22 Apr 2011, 14:04

Why did no one complain when the lifeboat building was built, or did they.

TC replaced the view of the lifeboat, so I think it’s an improvement.

Now we got, art galleries, theatres, bars,Restaurants, cafés, just like buzzing Southbank Lon, and to top it off, dreamland.

and sea.

and Heritage…. and there’s lots of it.
Last edited by 1234567890 on 04 May 2011, 09:36, edited 4 times in total.

Postby 1234567890 » 22 Apr 2011, 14:47

Southend is already successful according to some of the previous posts on this site so there is no need for one is there.

Postby manofkent » 24 Apr 2011, 18:24

1234567890 wrote:Why did no one complain when the lifeboat building was built, or did they.

TC replaced the view of the lifeboat, so I think it’s an improvement.

Now we got, art galleries, theatres, bars,Restaurants, cafés, just like buzzing Southbank Lon, and to top it off, dreamland.

http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/press ... eid=678012 sea.

Funny you should mention the LB station
manofkent

Postby Bob » 25 Apr 2011, 08:23

Vince, Charlie and Sam wrote:In the news for all the wrong reasons this week...

Margate's £17 million showpiece gallery has been branded the Turn Away Contemporary by angry and disappointed visitors.

People turning up yesterday were greeted by closed doors and a notice saying the gallery was shut, and staff were stationed outside to pass on the message in person.

The main complaint is that the "closed on Monday" message was not made obvious enough - on the gallery's website, in literature handed out or in press, radio and TV broadcasts. Disappointed visitors say the words "gallery now open. Free admission" were displayed at the top of the homepage on the Turner Contemporary website on Monday.

The general perception in all the advanced publicity is that Turner Contemporary was open from April 16-25 as part of a massive 10-day welcoming celebration.

Primary school teacher Julie Simpson from Canterbury planned to take her children - Rosie, 15; Poppy,13; and Charlie 11 - plus her mother who was on holiday visiting from Liverpool.

She said: "All the hype said that Turner Contemporary is opening with a massive 10-day celebration. We were urged to come along and be part of Margate's great new attraction and support the town.

"We did it and wished we hadn't bothered. It was shut. There were people on the steps turning folk away. One of the staff even had the nerve to tell me I should know that all art galleries shut on a Monday."

I never knew all art galleries shut on a Monday either.

They say that there is no such thing as bad taste, only other peoples', but on this I do completely agree with Bob. It is the right building in the wrong location, and is totally out of keeping with the historic harbour. It is like building a branch of Tesco next to Stonehenge. I struggled for ages to think of something positive to say about it and the best I could come up with was "at least it's not as bad as Arlington House".

I hope it is successful, not least for the traders in the Old Town where we have seen enormous improvements in anticipation of the visitors the Turner Contemporary might bring- although my personal feeling is that after the initial rush, visitor numbers will dwindle to the numbers seen by similar recently built Art Centres, such as West Bromwich Arts Centre, built for similar vanity reasons of trying to "raise the tone" of the town and planned when the economy was awash with money.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jan/28/public-arts-centre-west-bromwich

Dreamland could have been re-opened years ago, for a fraction of the cost, requiring no further subsidy, would create far more employment and bring far more money into the area than the Turner Contemporary ever will, a point on which I am sure even Bob would agree. :wink:

Art Galleries are the latest in thing at present with loccal councils a while back it was sports centres many of which are now closing from lack of use

Art's centres are not all that popular. Ones located in large urban areas can attract reasonable numbers but even they are probably not really succesfull

If you make something Free people will probably wander in especially if it is raining mind you equally if you made Dreamland free or Tesco's I am sure they would be busy.

Arts Centres should charge a sensible entrance fee to both help cover the costs and to establish whether there is a real demand or whether it is just an artifical demand created by making them free
Bob

Postby EAS » 25 Apr 2011, 17:48

Bob, don't you ever get tired of posting unsubstantiated assertion?

How many years of being proved wrong, and still you carry on?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby EAS » 25 Apr 2011, 17:52

PS as anyone who understands the background of Alsop's the Public can confirm, there is no way on earth it can be compared with the Turner.
EAS

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum