Tescos

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby Zoidstar » 08 Sep 2011, 22:05

They don't see logic only profit...

There are plans for a Tesco Extra at the top of Southend High Street on a plot of land were an empty B&Q sits it would be linked to the Victoria Shopping Centre by a Skyway Walkway (a Bridge) but its been deferd due to traffic issues.
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby DaveD » 12 Sep 2011, 14:06

It saddens me greatly that, like Folkestone, they seem hell bent on turning prominent seaside resorts into residental "functional" towns-by-the-sea.

The patch of land opposite the station used to be quite iconic - Radio 1 used to broadcast shows there in the summer and there would be celebrity guest stars. Now, it is part of the Premier Inn opposite a flaming Tesco's.

One reason, as far as I am aware, why Radio 1 chose that site was because it was central and the first thing people would see as the traveled from all over the country by train. Now all the people will see is the most sterile of sterile supermarkets.

This will not only look ridiculously out of place but there is so much potential with that area. There must be a hundred other brownfield sites in Margate for somewhere like that.

Dave D
DaveD

Postby Lou » 28 Sep 2011, 19:13

Thanet District Council have today released an ‘expert report looking at the upgraded listing of the Scenic Railway’. The report was commissioned by Thanet District Council. The Report’s author is Dr Chris Miele who is a partner in the legal firm, Montague Evans. Montague Evans list Tesco Superstores amongst their main client!????!!!!!! :roll:
Lou

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 28 Sep 2011, 19:20

I thought the point of places like Margate was to escape the tacky average realities of daily life.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porf » 28 Sep 2011, 19:32

Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Lou » 28 Sep 2011, 19:55

It states that English Heritage had considered the effect on the Scenic Railway throughout the consultation “irrespective of grade of listing”. The report then goes on to say that the proposed development “clearly does not diminish the rarity value of the asset” because much of the value is down to its history.

It concludes that the “particular significance which lead to the upgrading of this monument… is not harmed by the proposed development.” “

I would like to argue with all of that.................absolute rubbish!!!!
Lou

Postby Lou » 28 Sep 2011, 20:03

I would like to say I am not against development of the Arlington site, I'm just against a tescos development!!!!!!! :cry:
Lou

Postby porterm » 29 Sep 2011, 00:13

Hi Lou (et al)

I have to say I fully agree with you regarding your last comment. However, I do believe that the prospect of a new superstore backdrop for a Grade II* listed building (Scenic Railway) would not be at all fitting for such a rare subject.

Whilst I am all for increased shopping competition I really believe, which has been stated beforehand, that a Tesco superstore could surely be sited in a much more suitable location around town. Also one where constant deliveries etc would have far less impact.

Martin :(

PS I have also posted comments on the UK Planning link - I reckon it could be useful for as many of us to have a go
porterm

Postby EAS » 29 Sep 2011, 09:12

Chris Miele, not a friend to heritage, was on the side of the developers at Smithfield Inquiry and Lancaster.

Lost both.

Just be thankful he's not arguing for it to be delisted. Wouldn't be the first time.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby EAS » 08 Oct 2011, 23:35

Dreamland Trust and Save Britain's Heritage objecting toTesco application.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby EAS » 08 Oct 2011, 23:36

PS there is a listing application in with EH / DCMS for Arlington House. Which is good.
EAS

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum