Tescos

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Tescos

Postby Lou » 16 Jun 2011, 07:21

Tescos (by Arlington Flats) has been approved!
However, people can write to the secretary of state as he will have the final decision on this.
In my opinion, i think this is completely the wrong development for the area and would hate this to happen.
Anyone who knows Margate, will know about the limited space in the area and God only knows what problems the traffic and parking would cause. We really don't need this.
So anyone who is concerned - nows the time to write. Remember its worth a try (if you agree of course) its amazing what can happen. :wink:
Lou

Postby dave771 » 16 Jun 2011, 11:05

I don't think it has been approved as such. From what I read the proposal has been referred to the Secretary of State. Due to the size of the project Thanet council cannot give the go ahead and the final say is with the Secretary of State for approval.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby vann98 » 16 Jun 2011, 15:50

The concept of what the store and area will look like looks nice but it seems like nothing special and there are quite a few down sides to it.
vann98

Postby kevin » 17 Jun 2011, 08:22

vann98 wrote:The concept of what the store and area will look like looks nice but it seems like nothing special and there are quite a few down sides to it.

How can a supermarket look nice?

Tescos have already opened up a store in the grade 2 listed entrance building of the former Kursaal Amusement Park in Southend. They have no morals.
kevin

Postby vann98 » 17 Jun 2011, 15:25

Ok I take that back. The supermarket itself looks average and is the wrong place to put one. (kind of matches the turner slightly from the concept)
However what I thought was nice was the idea of removing Arlington square and the surrounding retail shops for something newer and updated. Whats there at the moment just is not good enough anymore.

Source: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UauoQ6hHTz8/TUmK7C6ajyI/AAAAAAAADzE/APlvR4Kz1y4/s1600/ArlingtonHouse%2526Superstore.JPG
vann98

Postby dave771 » 17 Jun 2011, 17:23

I totally agree Vann, as a resident of Margate, anything would be an improvement to that area. A Tesco there is better than a derelict car park that attracts crimes such as underage drinking and drug use. The area is either fenced off and looking awful of full of syringes and broken bottles. I know what id prefer to see !
dave771

Postby Lou » 17 Jun 2011, 18:04

Ok Dave, shall we agree to disagree!! :lol:
Lou

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 17 Jun 2011, 18:39

TDC should have made it a condition of the Section 106 Planning Agreement that Tesco became responsible for the Dreamland site and restoration of the Scenic Railway before they were allowed to commence work on their new store.

Perhaps it's not too late to make this a condition of development, or perhaps Tesco might even offer to do this themselves- after all, they get plenty of negative publicity so "Tesco saves Dreamland!" might be good PR for them. If the Secretary of State gives me a quick call during the week, I'll run the idea past him. :wink:
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby dave771 » 17 Jun 2011, 22:02

But they are owned by two different companies Vince. You cant make a Section 106 agreement with a company wishing to build on one area and ask them to be responsible for another !
dave771

Postby Sarah » 18 Jun 2011, 08:00

The traffic implications of the proposed Tesco are truly horrendous. I worry about anything that will negatively impact on the seafront, and I fear this will. Anyway, thought you might like to see the Conservation Area Action Group's alternative vision for the site:

http://margatecaag.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... arlington/

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Prince Michael Jackson II » 05 Jul 2011, 08:41

Shamone,

Being a longtime Margate resident shamone, I'm disappointed to see part of the area become urbanized; this will be the first thing people see when they arrive into the area shamone. That grassy area was iconic in the eighties when it housed the Radio 1 Roadshows - having it replaced shamone by a generic Tesco's says a great deal as to how tourism is again being swept aside shamone.

With the Turner shamone, this is the last thing I expected. This area shamone is the first thing people see coming into the area by road and rail shamone.

Prince
I love you MJ
Prince Michael Jackson II

Postby porf » 05 Jul 2011, 09:30

Hmm strange post, and also not the first one I've looked into that came from someone working in that industry (long enough ago to be in a different company/location) and posting from work :wink:

Please bear in mind that the admins can identify user email accounts along with the IP addresses used when posting.

Shamone,

Being a longtime Margate resident shamone, I'm disappointed to see part of the area become urbanized; this will be the first thing people see when they arrive into the area shamone. That grassy area was iconic in the eighties when it housed the Radio 1 Roadshows - having it replaced shamone by a generic Tesco's says a great deal as to how tourism is again being swept aside shamone.

With the Turner shamone, this is the last thing I expected. This area shamone is the first thing people see coming into the area by road and rail shamone.

Prince
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 05 Jul 2011, 09:49

What was wrong with that post Porf? Prince put over a valid personal view. It was a light hearted post that certainly made me chuckle shamone.

Sometimes I think this forum gets a bit to serious.
AJ

Postby porf » 05 Jul 2011, 09:56

Nothing particularly in that one as it was just a bit silly, but from an admin point of view it would be better if people didn't create multiple accounts.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Tescos

Postby John Humphrey » 08 Sep 2011, 16:09

Who wants to see a massive branch of the Thames Estuary Shady Commerce Organisation on that part of Margate seafront? It's the wrong development for that site as it is such a prominent location. It would be the first thing anyone saw on arriving in Margate whether by road or by the train. Assuming that the Dreamland reinstatement happens, the Arlington site should be redeveloped as the sort of catering outlets that used to be in that area, and which would thrive again next to a reinstated Dreamland. There may perhaps just be a case for the T.E.S.C.O. to build one of their smaller "Metro" stores on the Godden's Gap site, and then perhaps redevelop their Cliftonville (Northdown Road) store into one of their larger stores as this would have a catchment area of Cliftonville, Northdown, Dane Valley and perhaps Broadstairs.
John Humphrey
John Humphrey

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum