Ride restoration

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Ride restoration

Postby vann98 » 19 Jun 2011, 09:10

I recently realised that all the 'talk' recently has either been on the main site, the scenic or the Cinema. I then thought what about the rides themselves?
For instance, have all the rides been assessed and is there any known date for when they will be restored?
Are all off the rides in good enough condition to be rebuilt or will some not make it through to the park due to missing pieces (ie. the Ghost train and river caves which only have the mechanical parts)?
It has also been some time since the rides were in full working condition. I do not want to know what the state of them is like now.

Obviously I realise that actually 'getting' the site is more important at the moment, however you can't have an amusement park without rides and it would be interesting to find out if any rides will not be opening with the park (I believe the water chute is one of them as the main structure was not saved)
vann98

Postby Nick » 19 Jun 2011, 18:05

The rides are currently in storage at Dreamland, with the most sensitive parts inside the cinema building.

We will not be restoring all the rides for Phase One. The first phase will be a mixture of our acquired rides, some new acquisitions and some loans from other parks/operators.

As far as our own rides go, the first year of operation should see - in addition to the Scenic Railway, of course - the Caterpillar, the Whip, the Junior Whip, the Corbiere Wheel, the Ghost Train and the Flying Scooters.

We will be sourcing some additional rides, including Gallopers, Helter Skelter, Dodgems, and some surprises which we want to announce nearer the time.

There will be a good line-up in the first year, as we need to ensure that there are enough rides operating to make the park a genuinely good day out. We hope to be able to add to/change the line-up every year to offer something different, as we gradually bring our own rides back to use.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby blue » 20 Jun 2011, 15:52

Just reading the part about loaning rides from others, it got me thinking.

What is the attitude towards Dreamland from the other theme parks and seaside parks (especially those in the area such as Southend or Brighton)? How is it viewed by the likes of Alton Towers or Blackpool PB? Is Dreamland seen as a threat by them, or do they wish to see Dreamland flourish?
blue

Postby Nick » 20 Jun 2011, 18:35

blue wrote:Just reading the part about loaning rides from others, it got me thinking.

What is the attitude towards Dreamland from the other theme parks and seaside parks (especially those in the area such as Southend or Brighton)? How is it viewed by the likes of Alton Towers or Blackpool PB? Is Dreamland seen as a threat by them, or do they wish to see Dreamland flourish?

We don't have any contact with Brighton or Alton Towers. Southend's Adventure Island park and Pleasure Beach Blackpool are both friends of the Dreamland project and have taken a great interest in what we are doing. I know that they both wish to see Dreamland succeed, as do many other park operators.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby vann98 » 21 Jun 2011, 19:33

Thats great news considering I only thought the acquired rides would be entering the park. The loans and "surprises" you mentioned sound interesting. I guess we will have to wait and see what they are though.

Good choice of rides for the first year. So that leaves the water chute,river caves, wild mouse, cableway and all the indoor attractions like the mirror maze and fun house components. Shame the wild mouse won't make a reappearance straight away but the rest of the line up sounds promising so the first year should turn out good.

May I add, how is the relationship between Dreamland and Bembom Brothers and their company? Are they a close contact to Dreamland like Pleasure beach and Adventure Island, or do they have no contact what so ever with the project?
vann98

Postby Nick » 22 Jun 2011, 20:54

We are very close to the Bembom Brothers, who will always be friends of Dreamland.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby barcrest » 23 Jun 2011, 13:10

Nick wrote:We are very close to the Bembom Brothers, who will always be friends of Dreamland.

This in very interesting were they not in charge when loudon closed?
barcrest

Postby Nick » 23 Jun 2011, 20:51

Henk Bembom operated Loudoun Castle.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby barcrest » 24 Jun 2011, 12:55

Nick wrote:Henk Bembom operated Loudoun Castle.

Thought so :wink:
barcrest

Postby vann98 » 24 Jun 2011, 15:14

I suppose that means there is then, a possibility that they would donate one of their old rides which has not been sold off. Either the plough or looping star coaster, which are both unique and that last of their kind in the UK I believe.

Have Blackpool given the Dreamland project into ways they could help repair and restore the scenic? After all they have many classic wooden coasters of their own which have had the occasional fire on them throughout the years and they all seem to be repaired fairly quickly.
vann98

Postby barcrest » 28 Jun 2011, 08:54

To be honest the looping star was what I was thinking.
barcrest

Re: Ride restoration

Postby vann98 » 24 Sep 2012, 15:48

Not sure how many of you follow Pleasure Beach goings on, but I have viewed three sites now so far all suggesting that one or more rides could be removed from the park. These have been said to possibly include Eddie Stobart, Tea Cups , Dodgems, Monorail, Grand Prix, and the Wild Mouse.
Now I am no heritage expert and am not a big PBB fan, but if the opportunity arises, would it be viable to acquire one/some of these rides for the future?
Again I don't know how historic some of these rides are or weather it would be worth it but I thought it would be worth mentioning. The only actual ride I couldn't see fitting in is the Wildmouse as we already have one in storage.

Obviously it is just a rumour and the rides in question could potentially be wrong but I just thought I would bring it up just in case. As well as this, we still don't have full ownership of the site so maybe it is not worth considering.
vann98

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 24 Sep 2012, 18:47

The rides that I've seen will need a fair amount of restoration, but I'll be the first in the queue if volunteers are needed to help to restore them.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby vince69619 » 24 Sep 2012, 23:11

You won't be alone Vince. We have the caravan ready at short notice and I am handy with anything electrical or electronic, welding, engineering, woodworking. When do I start? Let me know if I need to bring the dalek as a security consultant.

Oh and if there is any locomotive driving that needs doing, it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it. Me Me Me!

Vince.
vince69619

Postby kevinashe » 26 Sep 2012, 19:10

Its only fan talk,some of these rides have had major wonga spent on them/or been relocated from other parts of the park
kevinashe

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum