Mystery Ride in Front of Former Dreamland River Caves

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Mystery Ride in Front of Former Dreamland River Caves

Postby porterm » 20 Jun 2011, 04:10

Hello all

Just caught this old British Pathe on-line newsreel clip labelled as untitled amusement park. Near the beginning after the gallopers opening ride I'm quite sure one can see Dreamland's former Caterpillar ride and then its classic River Caves with a rather unusual spinning carriage "teacup" style ride in the foreground. I just wondered if anyone recalls this particular ride as I was just curious.

The clip is at http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=26223

It could be worth mentioning to British Pathe where some (if not all of the film was shot); you can also see the former Racing Coaster clearly to the left of the River Caves. Shame was no on-ride footage of the two latter attractions.

Martin :D
porterm

Postby barcrest » 21 Jun 2011, 09:43

That Tea Cup ride crossed with the Whip looks quite good fun. From the brief shot it seems like there is a bumper car element to it. It also seems to be painted in a scheme simular to the old whip at blackpool.

Seems like the inner cars operate like the whip and there are some free un-attached cars that are pulled into the whip cars by trhe sloping track and are then bumped around the track. I wouldn't mind having a ride on that. :D
barcrest

Postby AJ » 21 Jun 2011, 11:13

I have read about one of these rides before. I will try and dig out the details.
AJ

Postby antony » 25 Jun 2011, 11:56

Hello Martin

I have just read your post. Perhaps you have seen it but the clip below contains - towards the end - a few precious moments on the much missed Racing Coaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxvaj44 ... re=related

Antony
antony

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum