Meridian Tonight

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Meridian Tonight

Postby erclairedoc » 05 Jul 2011, 19:26

Meridian Tonight had a little piece on Dreamland this evening:

http://www.itv.com/meridian-east/dreams ... land23189/
There is strength in numbers!
www.margatecaves.co.uk
erclairedoc

Postby Alan » 05 Jul 2011, 20:19

Looks like the Tesco is going ahead, but why will people visit Margate if they have a Tescos ! Dreamland and Tuner yes, But.........................
Alan

Postby porterm » 06 Jul 2011, 00:11

Another great Meridian Tonight feature I thought; well done everyone involved. I also couldn't really get that stimulated by the prospect of Margate possibly gaining Tesco City status. However, as I've just read that the supermarket's latest venture is into double glazing maybe the chain could assist Arlington House and/or the Dreamland site in any future glazing requirements. (Worth looking into maybe, if one can excuse the pun).

Martin
porterm

Postby Nick » 06 Jul 2011, 06:46

Yes, a good feature. Of course, we all know that the Scenic Railway wasn't Britain's first roller coaster (that pre-dating the Scenic by around 35 years!), but nice to see Meridian still giving the project the prominence it deserves.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby 1234567890 » 06 Jul 2011, 11:05

porterm wrote:Another great Meridian Tonight feature I thought; well done everyone involved. I also couldn't really get that stimulated by the prospect of Margate possibly gaining Tesco City status. However, as I've just read that the supermarket's latest venture is into double glazing maybe the chain could assist Arlington House and/or the Dreamland site in any future glazing requirements. (Worth looking into maybe, if one can excuse the pun).

Martin

Most likely that Tesco will sell cheap monotonous windows, if installed would make Arlington look 10 times worse.

Postby porterm » 13 Jul 2011, 21:05

Hi all

Just whilst Nick mentioned roller coasters that pre-dated the Scenic, I always thought they were known as switchbacks, like my late Nan would always call any coaster. However, I read an item recently which referred to them as Switchblades. I'd be intrigued to know the correct original coaster name, unless they are both one of the same.

Martin

PS I know I could probably try and research this myself but I'm rather time-pressured and feeling a little lazy currently
porterm

Postby reggie » 13 Jul 2011, 21:41

This website seems to be reasonable in respect to the first coasters

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/co ... ory/start/
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
reggie

Postby porterm » 13 Jul 2011, 23:13

Thanks for that Reggie. I couldn't yet see a reference to the names I mentioned in my last post but I'll take a better look when I have more time.

With reference to the Russian ice sled coasters, there used to be a coaster history sign depicting this outside of Tonnerre de Zeus, the great woodie in Parc Asterix near Paris, France. However, on my recent visit back in April I noticed they'd changed their signage, although the European Coaster Club does now get a mention.

Martin
porterm

Postby David Ellis » 14 Jul 2011, 01:01

The ECC mention has pretty much been there since the ride was built.

The correct term for those early coasters were switchbacks...the train would go out, and switch tracks and return back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchback_Railway

The first complete circuit coaster actually launched in the same year as the switchback (1884), which was the Serpentine Railway at Coney Island, New York. The first switchback, also at Coney Island that year, paid for itself in just 3 weeks!

David.
World Naked Coaster Riding Record Holder
David Ellis

Postby reggie » 14 Jul 2011, 10:59

Hi Martin,

At the bottom of the page I gave the link for is a further link as follows:-

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/co ... rica.shtml

Which starts talking about the Switchback railways.

I don't know whether the term you heard of switchblade related to the earlier ice coasters as these sounded more like they used sleighs, therefore with blades.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
reggie

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum