10 ¼ inch gauge Flying Scotsman steam train complete

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby little giant » 28 Feb 2012, 23:13

as I said laying track is easy you can do it with DIY tools the more difficult bit is making the track bed, but even that is not too bad with some small hire things
tap not
sledge or lump hammer
there is no tap
little giant

Postby woody » 29 Feb 2012, 03:14

vince69619 wrote:Now don't get me wrong anyone, I am not about to say we shouldn't have a water chute (I did contribute to the fund to save what we have, so)...

In terms of scale, if the skills are there to rebuild a water chute and all we have is the key mechanical parts, then putting down some track is child's play.

If we can build a water chute, we can lay a railway and put up a station.

Vince.

a miniature railway would not be unique,plenty of them still around the country.tunnel railway for me. something that no longer exists
woody

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 01 Mar 2012, 20:07

There's a reason there are many left. They must be popular.
Dreamland had one, and should have one again.
I only bring this up because the previous post is left sort of open to interpretation about if there should even be one.

This is a perfect opportunity to point out how these kinds of things can be parlayed into revenue...
Because there is an operating train, twice a year, hold a collectors miniature train show and sale for people with home sets. It's a perfect way to draw people in.

You have to think beyond A+B. You have to think about how you can capitalize on A (Dreamland) and B (Operating railway) to get C, D, and E.

In that same vein, hold a classic car show. A VW show, an MG show, etc.
Have an antique show and sale. It's a heritage park, right?

The possibilities are endless.
Open the gates and they will come.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby little giant » 01 Mar 2012, 21:20

As a show of numbers we at Rhyl Miniature Railway carried just over 14000 passengers last year as a stand alone attraction without the added draw of great fun fair rides, this just shows the draw of a miniature railway and I think that dreamland would be poorer with its railway.
tap not
sledge or lump hammer
there is no tap
little giant

Postby woody » 02 Mar 2012, 01:39

little giant wrote:As a show of numbers we at Rhyl Miniature Railway carried just over 14000 passengers last year as a stand alone attraction without the added draw of great fun fair rides, this just shows the draw of a miniature railway

i am not objecting to a miniature railway, 14000 passengers a year is not a business, rides can do this in one weekend

little giant wrote: I think that dreamland would be poorer with its railway.

yes i would agree :wink:

jokes aside to develop a miniature steam railway with a 1000m of track is 1 million pound plus operating costs. i have seen the reports that back this up :wink:

if they get the whole site then it could be looked at, but i would rather see something unique on the site.

(mrw member)
woody

Postby little giant » 04 Mar 2012, 21:19

[quote="woody"]

jokes aside to develop a miniature steam railway with a 1000m of track is 1 million pound plus operating costs. i have seen the reports that back this up :wink:

I must be in the wrong job cos I can not see how it can be that high as a steam loco would weight in at £50,000 and about £2000 a coach what was the rest spent on cos if they are spending £800,000 on the track and station what they hell did they have built
tap not
sledge or lump hammer
there is no tap
little giant

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum