10 ¼ inch gauge Flying Scotsman steam train complete

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

10 ¼ inch gauge Flying Scotsman steam train complete

Postby Alan » 10 Jul 2011, 14:54

Hi All,
Has anyone seen this on ebay, if only it was in the UK would be good for Dreamland.

At about £60,000 sounds a bargain.

Alan
Alan

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 10 Jul 2011, 15:01

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-inch-gauge-Fly ... 939wt_1344

Yes, very nice, although the opinion on the US miniature railway forum I visited was that it is "overpriced by a factor of three to four".

Vince, Charlie and Sam

Re: 10 ¼ inch gauge Flying Scotsman steam train complete

Postby timj » 10 Jul 2011, 21:32

Alan wrote:At about £60,000 sounds a bargain.

Alan

To a millionaire!!

Tim
timj

Postby Zoidstar » 10 Jul 2011, 21:53

Any buyer would have to have the boiler pressure tested along with all the valves leak check the pipes and also give a overhaul as you would need to prove its safe for public operations.

Would love to own it but the very slight issue of £60,000 and somewhere to stick it are problems.
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby StoneRoad » 17 Jul 2011, 15:36

for the visible condition that £60k seems too much, esp'ly since it would need to be stripped and boiler tested (etc) to run in the UK. And that is excluding the cost of getting it over here!
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album
to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
StoneRoad

Postby Alan » 17 Jul 2011, 15:58

I was going by the fact that Billie is up for sale at £40,000, this looks like its in better condition with track and carriages !

Alan
Alan

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 17 Jul 2011, 20:15

This engine hasn't run for over 10 years now and the last time it run it was run on compressed air because it wasn't safe to steam, the boiler is over 40 years old and would cost around £10,000 to replace.

There is some discussion on this engine here. http://s9.zetaboards.com/MRW_Forums/topic/7240951/1/
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 19 Jul 2011, 19:45

There's always the lowball offer...
This isn't Wal-Mart. All prices are up for negotiation.

Compressed air seems the way to go anyway. It's cheap, safe, and emissions free.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby vince69619 » 19 Jul 2011, 23:28

Hey Jim,

Now that's made me laugh!

We run steam engines on compressed air for testing only. There were a few full size engines that did run on a tank of pressurised steam remotely from the boiler, but these were usually in factories with explosives nearby. They had to make it back to the boiler before they ran out of pressure!

My minature loco that's work in progress already runs on air and the boiler is almost ready for a final fit.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 21 Jul 2011, 21:12

vince69619 wrote: There were a few full size engines that did run on a tank of pressurised steam remotely from the boiler, but these were usually in factories with explosives nearby. They had to make it back to the boiler before they ran out of pressure!

Yep, they are called "fireless locos". There is an unrestored one on the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway, which happily re-opened a service this year after a few idle years.

Inspiration for us at the SaveDreamland Campaign I suppose. The SKLR's website is here
http://www.sklr.net/

Here's a pic of their fireless loco. It's a Bagnall engine, named "Unique" and was designed to run inside their paper mill before lorries were invented.

The main characteristic of a fireless loco is the size of the boiler- they look pregnant! They were filled with steam at one source on the railway and as Vince says, it was essential that they could make it back to the re-fuelling point before they ran out of steam.

The engine in Pennsylvania was, like Billie, designed to run on coal and water and there is no other way she could be run.

Vince, if you have any pics of the engine you are building then I am sure nobody would object if you posted them to this thread, or if anybody did, to me personally by PM!
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby vince69619 » 22 Jul 2011, 12:30

Hi Vince,

Great update. Try these...

http://www.martyns.net/king01.JPG

http://www.martyns.net/king.avi

The AVI file is of the chassis running on air, you can hear the compressor kick in after a few seconds and tomboy Nicky wanting to 'go faster'!
The noise that Mike is referring to is caused by the wheels having no weight loading and this causes the wheels to drop and two parts to rub together. Obviously Kings were not designed to run whilst being held up by their chassis!

Vince.
vince69619

puffing billie

Postby kapuscinski » 20 Feb 2012, 19:07

billies not up for sale dreamlands getting him back!
kapuscinski

Postby woody » 26 Feb 2012, 03:47

having seen the costing for a new 15in line at another site, it would be far better to rebuild a tunnel railway ride that used to be seen in parks
woody

Postby little giant » 26 Feb 2012, 18:14

the cost of a miniature railway is all down to how you do it, I dont mean cut corners but if you hire someone to do it all it will cost a lot but if you can do it yourself it will be a lot cheaper. It is dont hard to lay a railway you could always come to Rhyl and we could teach you or I could come and teach you how to lay the track all you need is some basic DIY tools and a jim crow to bend the rail which we have here in Rhyl. If you employ someone to build the railway for you, you have to pay for the materials and also the cost of them to use them but you can lay them for free.
little giant

Postby vince69619 » 27 Feb 2012, 13:39

Now don't get me wrong anyone, I am not about to say we shouldn't have a water chute (I did contribute to the fund to save what we have, so)...

In terms of scale, if the skills are there to rebuild a water chute and all we have is the key mechanical parts, then putting down some track is child's play.

If we can build a water chute, we can lay a railway and put up a station.

Vince.
vince69619

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum