Dreamland Trust Objection to Tesco/Arlington Hse Development

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Nov 2011, 22:45

Get Petula Clark to make a public statement.
People will listen to Pet!
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porterm » 15 Nov 2011, 02:10

Hi Jim - good idea maybe, unless she sings Downtown or it could be music to a certain superstore's ears. Do we really need corporate urbanization in every town, even seaside ones??

The Queen's visit to Margate last Friday only encompassed the Old Town district as far as I am aware (which is filled with independent shops). I suspect she would have not been so impressed with her visit had she been subjected to "new" town Margate's proposed future offerings.

Martin

PS I luckily managed to get a shot of the Royal car at the end of the Old Town exit road last Friday. I know Alan was there somewhere from this Campaign; just wondered if many others managed to attend.
porterm

Postby EAS » 15 Nov 2011, 22:37

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby porterm » 22 Nov 2011, 14:13

Hi all

Just received another communication in the post regarding my objection from Thanet District Council the other day. Just wondered if anyone else got one?

I hope they take all viewpoints carefully into consideration before making a final verdict.

Martin
porterm

Postby Bob » 10 Jan 2012, 10:27

It seems a very sensible location for a Tesco's. Close to public transport & loactated in the town centre rather than out of town so it will increase footfall in the town centre shops.

I cannot see the council objecting as in general the policy is to discourage out of town developments and encourage in town developments.

The objection of Lorrys & cars is just daft as Dreamland would generate far more lorry and car journeys than Tesco's
Bob

Postby aweber2us » 10 Jan 2012, 21:43

So you are now saying Dreamland would work and will be very busy with cars.
aweber2us

Postby vann98 » 11 Jan 2012, 19:16

It's not really a sensible location is it?
I mean, I cant argue with the fact that both Tesco's and Dreamland will generate a lot of vehicles and potential traffic, but I think having a large superstore dominating part of the seafront is unacceptable and simply would not "fit in" with the rest of the shops and buildings. It will add the the areas already tacky appearance.

I understand the idea is to have retail units and a hotel in front of the store which I am not totally against, but the problem with that part of the development, is that there is currently no interest from any hotel operators or companies meaning the space could potentially be left vacant for years. I personally would rather not see another version of "Godden's gap" on the seafront. Ones enough!

In my opinion, this Tesco development should not go ahead. If they insist on wanting some type of store than why not have something smaller and less dominating such as a Tesco Express store which will cause less damage to the seafront?

I understand that they have got a reasonable offer and want to take it while they can but I just think that there will be other chances and the current plan will more likely have a negative outcome than a positive one!
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 11 Jan 2012, 19:42

Huge retailers keep smaller ma and pa businesses from thriving. People need to be prepared to step up and patronize these small businesses if they want to benefit what makes Margate unique.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Bob » 11 Jan 2012, 20:10

Jim Douglas Jr. wrote:Huge retailers keep smaller ma and pa businesses from thriving. People need to be prepared to step up and patronize these small businesses if they want to benefit what makes Margate unique.

It is the large stores that draw in the customers and keep the smaller stores going that is why most councils now have a policy of discouraging out of town locations for supermarkets and encouraging town centre developments.

This Tesco store full meets the local councils planning strategy
Bob

Postby EAS » 11 Jan 2012, 22:41

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby AJ » 12 Jan 2012, 20:44

EAS this in my town, Welwyn Garden City. This does worry me though as Tesco actually has their head office here in WGC and as other companies have done in the past threatened to pull out of the town unless they get their own such as Roche did a few years back. Tesco have 3 large office blocks, a huge merchandise centre & 2 distribution centres in the district.

To be honest I'm not that fussed for the store in the town as the land is derelict, greedy landlords have already priced all the indie stores out of our town thanks to Sainsburys help. At least Tesco have been offering incentives like swimming pools and such.
AJ

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum