1983 - Two Twists @ Dreamland?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

1983 - Two Twists @ Dreamland?

Postby Mike Willis » 13 Oct 2011, 14:26

Just been advised that there were two Huss (?) Twists in the park following the Bembom Bros. refurbishment in 1983. Does anyone have any photos or can advise what happened to these machines?
Mike Willis

Postby dave771 » 13 Oct 2011, 16:43

There were two rides similar to twists at Dreamland in the early 80's. They can both be seen on the following links.

The first one features the Calypso around 1981 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwfW_dG3oIE at 1.05

The second was the Zig Zag in 1989 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpj3FAdbjo at 5.38
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby Ian-NFA » 14 Oct 2011, 08:57

Thanks Mike for posting the request. I got round to joining (possibly re-joining, i can't remember). Anyway, hello Nick and all from Sheffield.

I'm going through a set of photos taken by Paul Angel in 1983 - this would be his first visit to the park following the Bembom takeover. They seemed to have populated the park with quite a few Continental type rides: a Tri-star and a Troika (one has the centre lift, the other has the side lift), the Safeco Zig Zag twist, Hanseatic Pirate Boat, Looping Ship, Enterprise, etc. The trainspotter in me has been tracking the history of Calypso rides in the UK, and there was one in Margate BEFORE the Bembom takeover (we lost track of this). But that topic is on another thread...

The Huss friction drive Twist-style ride has only just come to my attention. I think this ride stayed around in the UK and ended up recently at Loudoun Castle. I had it recorded as a Calypso, because of the big overblown contintental look of the cars, but in terms of motion and structure it is more of a Twist (the cars are fixed). Anyway, I found a photograph of this in Paul's 1983 audit, then, when scanning a neg for which a print didn't exist, i came across the picture that shows two of these rides almost alongside each other. I guess it shows how hurriedly the park was filled with attractions in 1983?

The fourth overview picture shows the scene - with the final two zoomed and cropped pictures showing the actual rides

Ian-NFA

Postby AJ » 15 Oct 2011, 09:41

Welcome (back) to forum Ian.

Wow what a great aerial shot of the River Caves,thanks.

I remember riding the Zig Zag in '86 when it was the other side of the park behind the Scenic.

Anymore great pictures Ian?
AJ

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 28 Oct 2011, 23:02

Most excellent pictures and videos, guys.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby kevinashe » 01 Nov 2011, 18:22

The Calypso later had its scaucer shaped covers removed and had a red paint job,possibly before it moved to loudoun
kevinashe

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum