Dreamland model

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland model

Postby micktee » 12 Dec 2011, 00:30

Most of the members of the the Dreamland Campaign know that over many years I have built models of Dreamland Amusement Park and Bembom Brothers Theme Park.
I have reached the stage where I have built a Theme Park of my own making, but more to the point am building in 1/87th scale Dreamland as is was in 1960
There's a long way to go. But I am looking for display area in Margate to display this late 2012/13
Watch this space, and members keep the good work up!!
micktee

Postby barcrest » 12 Dec 2011, 10:32

Any pictures of the ones you have already made?
barcrest

Postby porterm » 12 Dec 2011, 19:22

Hi Mick - that sounds great. I used to love viewing your former models in the old park "tunnel" end just before turning into the daylight and getting a first glimpse of the Scenic Railway etc.

I was lucky enough to win a prize on KMFM a few months ago and met one of my personal heros, Tony Blackburn on board P&O's new Pride of Britain ship. I managed to mention the photo of him viewing one of your former model displays at the park some years ago. Unfortunately for us he rather ironically does not like amusement parks and rides so my idea of getting him to reopen the new Dreamland sadly went down like a lead balloon. (I was going to keep it a secret if he kindly agreed).

I wish you the best in finding a suitable location for your display (could the Winter Gardens possibly house it by chance?) I enjoyed seeing your Scenic model once again at our Dreamland launch event at Margate's West Coast Bar a couple of years back by the way. I guess you wanted a place pre-Dreamland's relaunch to promote it which I reckon would be great to generate future interest again.

Martin
porterm

Postby Greg Pryce » 13 Dec 2011, 14:53

Hi Mick,
I remember you mentioning this some time back, would be great to see on display!...
As mentioned above, if you do get time to post some pictures, it'd be a nice preview :)
It would be lovely if you could bring some models to Brighton Modelworld in February as we're always looking for more Fairground Modellers to join our section..but I know you've probably got a lot going on :)
Hope to see you again (and the Display) v. Soon
All the best,
Greg
Greg Pryce

Postby vince69619 » 13 Dec 2011, 22:46

We used to exhibit at Brighton ModelWorld, either with the dalek or as part of Reading Society of Model Engineers.

The show fell out with the dalek organizers and the club decided not to go either. We start the dalek season at the South West Model and Engineering Exhibition in April.

Best wishes to anyone attending Brighton.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby Greg Pryce » 13 Dec 2011, 23:06

Hi Vince,
That's a shame, ..I don't know if you are aware that there are different organisers now?....personally I think the show, although always good, has been improving over the past few years, with more variety of exhibits .
All the best,
Greg
Greg Pryce

Postby Melvyn Harrison » 27 Dec 2011, 13:00

Why not put it in the Turner Gallery.

The old and the new combined and it would also give a purpose for the Gallery.
Melvyn Harrison

Postby aweber2us » 28 Dec 2011, 08:38

How about the old court in Margates old town. They seemed to have some space and already had a Dreamland section?
aweber2us

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 11 Jan 2012, 19:43

I'm sure when the park opens, a permanent home can be established on site.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum