CPO - Public Inquiry daily summaries

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby porf » 08 Mar 2012, 20:41

Added day 11 (17th Feb) and 12 (6th March)

No idea what Bob's on this time - what's Tesco got to do with the Dreamland site Public Inquiry?

I would have expected it to come under the forthcoming Arlington Public Inquiry.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby vann98 » 09 Mar 2012, 19:20

How you think a supermarket chain that is dotted everywhere across the UK is expected to gain more customers than a reopened Dreamland is way beyond me or my understanding. Am I missing something? :?

Anyway, just changing the subject briefly. I was just on the main TDC site and I was slightly concerned to see that the final part of the inuqry (the closing statements) will be held even later on in the month.

Considering the inquiry was meant to only run for one or two months, I am a bit concerned that the whole process will take even longer for a descion to be decided, meaning that construction could be held back even further.

I know it may be a bit too early to tell, but does anyone know if Dreamland still anticipate a late 2013 opening? It would be a shame if we had to wait another year for a reopened Dreamland.
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 09 Mar 2012, 23:31

It's only courteous to reply to Bob. After all, it takes a lot of effort for him to type on his chicken and chips grease coated keys.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby AJ » 10 Mar 2012, 00:12

vann98 wrote:Considering the inquiry was meant to only run for one or two months, I am a bit concerned that the whole process will take even longer for a descion to be decided, meaning that construction could be held back even further.

I know it may be a bit too early to tell, but does anyone know if Dreamland still anticipate a late 2013 opening? It would be a shame if we had to wait another year for a reopened Dreamland.

I think more of a concern could be that I'm sure there was a time restriction on when the grant money had to be used by.

Can anyone confirm how the project stands with the grants and restrictions?
AJ

Postby Bob » 12 Mar 2012, 16:49

Certainly Tescos will pull in bigger numbers than Dreamland. There is no doubt about that at all

If you look at this site there are about half a dozen posters hardly big numbers!
Bob

Postby Gary » 12 Mar 2012, 18:32

Bob wrote:..If you look at this site there are about half a dozen posters hardly big numbers!

But half a dozen posters going to Dreamland..Noone on here has mentioned they're going to Tesco's..

I really don't know what your point is Bob but I do enjoy reading your posts.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby AJ » 12 Mar 2012, 20:46

Bob wrote:Certainly Tescos will pull in bigger numbers than Dreamland. There is no doubt about that at all

If you look at this site there are about half a dozen posters hardly big numbers!

There were about a dozen posters here in Welwyn Garden City against Tesco redeveloping the old Shredded Wheat site here and the council threw out their plans. That's right in the same town that houses Tesco's Head Office. Brave & bold move by our council TDC could learn a lot.
AJ

Tescos

Postby reggie » 13 Mar 2012, 09:34

Bob how on earth can anybody say that a Tesco is a bigger draw than Dreamland. I live in derbyshire and there are at least 4 Tesco extra stores within 20 miles of my house, why on earth would I want to come to Margate to go to your Tescos? I will be quite happy if they do not build a tescos in Margate there are enough of them around the country already.

There is only one Scenic Railway and that is in Margate, and that is the only reason why I will be coming to Margate once it is restored.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
reggie

Postby barcrest » 13 Mar 2012, 09:39

Bob wrote:Certainly Tescos will pull in bigger numbers than Dreamland. There is no doubt about that at all

Whilst footfall through the door will obviously be higher in Tesco, it will not be people coming from far and wide to vist. It will only be people local doing their shopping. I have a mssive Tesco 5 minutes walk from my house, why would i want to drive 4 hours to go to exactly the same place?

Dreamland is about bringing tourist money into margate, remember tourists? People with funny accents that like to spend money, tend to come out in the summer? Admittedly they might be rare in Margate right now but once Dreamland is back up and running they'll be back and much greater numbers.
barcrest

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 26 Mar 2012, 21:44

Yes, Bubbles. If you're going to use the numbers here, let's look at them.
A half a dozen of us to your one is still only 14.3% for you.

It's hard to put your foot in your mouth when it's stuffed full of cheeseburgers, isn't it Bob? Still, somehow you manage.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 26 Mar 2012, 21:47

...and quit sending me pictures of yourself in your tackily furnished flat.
No means no, Bob.

Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Peet » 27 Mar 2012, 12:12

This topic has 1700 views; I used to regularly read this site for several years before signing up, even now I only post occasionally but read it every day, and I expect there are many more like me. Even so, people who read this site are the tip of the iceberg in terms of people who will visit the park.

Anyway, we should get back to topic. Jim are you sure your last post is productive for this message board? Do we know when the decision on the CPO is expected? I know we were originally told it would be May or June but I was wondering if that may have slipped back because of the fact that the inquiry took longer than expected?
Peet

Postby vann98 » 02 Apr 2012, 11:33

Well you may have already found this out but a decision seems to be expected for June or July, though I heard somewhere that it may be August so I am not really certain.

Now just because this board does not always get that many "posters" does not mean that Dreamland has no community support so to speak.
I myself know dozens of people who wish to see Dreamland brought back to life but they choose not to post here. Other people choose to watch from the sidelines. This includes people who check the site regularly for updates but do not post often or at all.

My final point is without Dreamland, Margate as a seaside resort is basically dead. Sure the Turner and Grotto will keep people interested but it just won't be enough on its own. That is why Margate needs Dreamland.
In my opinion the only reason it closed in the first place was because the park had downsized so much since 1995, there was barely anything for people to do there. In addition to this the place was not very attractive in its final years with little garden space or theming and was mainly just rides slapped onto concrete. (very welcoming...)
The other reason for closure being that it seemed that developing Dreamland would be a good retirement program for Godden.
vann98

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 02 Apr 2012, 12:18

vann98 wrote:

In my opinion the only reason it closed in the first place was because the park had downsized so much since 1995, there was barely anything for people to do there. In addition to this the place was not very attractive in its final years with little garden space or theming and was mainly just rides slapped onto concrete. (very welcoming...)
The other reason for closure being that it seemed that developing Dreamland would be a good retirement program for Godden.

One of Mr. Godden's first moves on taking over the park was to remove most of the trees, presumably because these can be made subject to Tree Preservation Orders, and many of the permanent buildings, presumably because these too can be made subject to protection.

It does very much look to me as though Mr. Godden had a view to re-development from the moment he sought to take on Dreamland. Certainly it always seemed as though the Bemboms were more interested in operating an amusement park and it's a shame they decided to sell up because I'm sure Dreamland would still be open today if it was still in their ownership and Margate would be a very different place.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 09 Apr 2012, 23:50

Peet,
Good point about the quiet readers.

My posts usually shut Boob up for a while. That's enough reward.
If you think I'm a little vocal, that's fine, but my paper letters and phone calls to the BBC, Prince Charles Foundation, and (threats to the) Thanet Council have had tangible and quick results - all from half way around the globe. Yes, my words to them helped turn the tide a few years ago over the zoning. I got a letter airmail stating as much from a properly admonished council after I reminded them that their duty was to carry out the wishes of their constituents and not who could pad their pockets.

Being polite to hostile enemies is proving to be a fairly useless tactic. Well and good at a dinner party, but in this case, inaction would lead to a loss too great to imagine.

Those trying to destroy Dreamland are playing dirty. They burned the Scenic Railway's irreplaceable trains and dragons and I'm going to do as much as I can to derail the naysayers; and if that means calling Bob out for the fat, lazy, and stupid moron that he is, then so be it, especially when he's pulling figures out of his rear. This is Save Dreamland. If he wants to kill it, he can start his own campaign.

As for the quiet readers, the campaign still needs tangible help, both in time and funds. Dreamland won't be a reality any time soon unless people get off their duffs, turn off their TV, and do something and get vocal. We can't let 6 or 8 people do everything if we really care.
Jim Douglas Jr.

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum