Fun Park Boss Snubs Southend

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Fun Park Boss Snubs Southend

Postby porterm » 22 Apr 2004, 23:55

Hi all,

Just visited Southend last Sunday and caught sight of their local Evening Echo placard outside a newsagents proclaiming the above headline in the subject box. I have e-mailed the article to Nick Laister. It sounds very interesting, particularly as Philip Miller, the Adventure Island boss, appears rather despondent with Southend Council of late. He has had future development plans for his current park thwarted apparently, so is keen to invest in Dreamland's regeneration, if he gets the opportunity.

I think this would be an excellent proposition for Dreamland's long term future if he acquired the park as Adventure Island seems to be a very well run park.

Hopefully Nick will be able to post the article on this website.

Martin 8)
porterm

Postby coasternutter » 26 Apr 2004, 09:48

I visited the Southend park for the first time last week.
It is lovely little park with some good rides, but it is lacking a good signature ride. The ride operators and staff were all very nice. The park was very quiet and we were able to ride most of the rides. I can undersatand his frustration with the council over planning permission.
coasternutter

Postby Graeme » 26 Apr 2004, 21:56

I don't think Southend should see it as Philip Miller "snubbing" them, just because he may be interested in another site! Surely he would continue to run both sites? Look at the effort he's put into some of the rides. They're not the sort of thing you just dismantle and move (ie. funfair rides).
Graeme

Postby tash_xx » 11 Jun 2004, 14:56

I fully support Phillip miller investing in Dreamland its an expansion to the Stockvale enterprise and all businesses need to grow to ensure success. He did not abandon the park because he took over the sealife centre from Merlin entertainment and even if he does spend more time working in Margate the managers at adventure island are more than capable of running the park.

According to the son of Southend councils chief executive, philip miller and his dad have had a personal falling out so his dad is probably trying to make things had for the park at the moment
every day is a new magical adventure
tash_xx

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum