Drive the Dreamland Miniature Railway!

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Drive the Dreamland Miniature Railway!

Postby nvincer » 13 Feb 2012, 21:22

Hello all,

I am a content modeler for Microsoft Train Simulator and would like to share with you some work I have been doing on the route of the Dreamland Miniature Railway. The route is set in the mid 50's and currently I have placed scenery in the immediate area around the route from Park Station to the end of the tunnel under the racing coaster. The locomotive is authentically modeled but the coaches are similar design borrowed from another pack, these will be replaced at a later date.

Anyway, I'll let you see the pictures now. Comments are welcome.

The foliage around the track is provided by Reg Furniss.

Regards,

Ben Vincer
www.bubblesrailways.co.uk
nvincer

Postby rcard » 13 Feb 2012, 21:59

Top work Ben! I have MSTS, and it will be great to drive this route once it's finished. I'm a big fan of simulators and once started modelling the scenic in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, but didn't get very far. Your progress with the Dreamland Miniature Railway is very impressive.
rcard

Postby nvincer » 13 Feb 2012, 23:07

Thanks. I will keep you updated :}
nvincer

Postby vince69619 » 13 Feb 2012, 23:55

Oh my! This is wonderful. Yes I want a copy when you are done.

Need to get some practice in for the day when we can drive Billy round the park. Well I can dream, it is Dreamland after all. :D

Should I point out that I am passed out for public hauling on miniature steam and Nicky is too.

Vince. :wink:
vince69619

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 15 Feb 2012, 00:35

This is really cool. Could be installed somewhere as an interactive display or something once the park opens.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby nvincer » 17 Feb 2012, 16:42

'Michael' on loan from the RMR forms the centre of a view across from the bridge.

Cheers,

Ben
nvincer

Postby vince69619 » 17 Feb 2012, 18:01

I am impressed with your work Ben.

Looks like the traverser needs checking, seems to be turned 90 degrees.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby nvincer » 17 Feb 2012, 21:15

Thank you,

I'm not sure what you mean? The traverser is under the closest track to the camera, I'll admit it's not lined up properly at the moment. The things running 90o in the pit are the running rails that the traverser slides on.

Cheers,

Ben
nvincer

Postby vince69619 » 18 Feb 2012, 12:23

Hi Ben,

Yes that explains it, they are the running rails for the traverser!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to you releasing this. If you need a beta tester :D I am available.

Vince.
vince69619

Billie

Postby SteamEngineerPMW » 19 Feb 2012, 16:53

Hi,
I'm not a Train Sim user, but great to see the DMR and Billie recreated for PC users. Anything that raises the profile of Billie and the DMR in the public place has to be good.
For me the Scenic Railway does steal all the lime light, but then I am biased towards the DMR for many, many reasons.
It seems Greenly lines and engines have a magnetic draw for me, simply marvellous.

One thing, don't forget Billie always burnt smokeless fuel in the good old days! Coke usually.
SteamEngineerPMW

Postby nvincer » 19 Feb 2012, 21:40

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the positive comments, they really keep me going. I am currently incredibly busy with uni work (I'm currently training to be a teacher), so work on the route is really as and when I get five minutes away from planning and marking but reading the feedback makes it worth while!

On a side note, unfortunately the traverser will not work due to limitations in the software, however so that you don't have to restart every time you want to do a complete trip on the railway I am planning on hiding some invisible track sections underneath the station building which will act as an invisible set of points so trains can be run around. This way it means that you will be able to run a continuous service without spoiling the look of the route. Sorry about this but I hope this compromise will help.

I have recently had contact with someone who has offered me some pictures of the gardens end of the line, I have now got a few, but to make it accurate as possible I am looking for anymore that anyone may have hiding away. Please feel free to get in contact with whatever you have.

Thanks,

Ben
nvincer

Postby SteamEngineerPMW » 20 Feb 2012, 08:06

"I have recently had contact with someone who has offered me some pictures of the gardens end of the line"

Hi, I expect that you have seen the image of my Grandfather running Billie round the train at the gardens end of the line? The picture features in the 'Dreamland A cavalcade of photographs'. Don't forget the wigwans and the totem poles!

Should anyone supply pictures of the line I am as some of you know, very interested the the DMR and would love the chance to see images, especially 1964 - 1971.

All the best
SteamEngineerPMW

Postby nvincer » 23 Feb 2012, 21:57

Yes I have thank you, it's always great to know a bit of the history behind the photos!

In addition, were the 'Whirlwind Racer' and the 'Racing Coaster' separate rollercoasters? I believe from the plans that I have got and the pictures I have sourced they are, and I believe that the railway ran through the centre of the first and behind the second? Are my assumptions correct?

Cheers,

Ben
nvincer

Postby davidjohn » 24 Feb 2012, 00:04

nvincer wrote:Yes I have thank you, it's always great to know a bit of the history behind the photos!

In addition, were the 'Whirlwind Racer' and the 'Racing Coaster' separate rollercoasters? I believe from the plans that I have got and the pictures I have sourced they are, and I believe that the railway ran through the centre of the first and behind the second? Are my assumptions correct?

Cheers,

Ben
The Whirlwind Racer & The Racing Coaster were indeed two separate rides. The Whirlwind Racer was an electrified twin track racing coaster. This ride was situated at the top end of the Scenic Railway. The ride was short but repeated itself several times round the track. It consisted of sharp bends with humpbacks at speed. The trains ran parallel with eachother. The Racing Coaster was a small Woddie on a single track. This ride was situated behind the River Caves. The cars were small and held about six to eight people. Although the Racing Coasters name suggested a duel track, it was in fact a fast compact woodie. I remember riding them both in the early 60s.
davidjohn

Postby nvincer » 24 Feb 2012, 11:47

Thank you :) Thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Using that information, I assume that my thoughts on the layout of the railway were correct then?

Thanks,

Ben
nvincer

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum