Our Margate youth speaks out

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Our Margate youth speaks out

Postby kapuscinski » 17 Feb 2012, 16:56

Dreamland CPO Public Inquiry - Wednesday 15 February 2012

The second session of the Public Inquiry into the council’s bid to confirm the compulsory purchase order of the Dreamland site has started, with the first of the council’s witnesses giving evidence.

Before the first witness was heard, however, a member of the public, 12 year old Margate resident Gavin Kapuscinski, addressed the Inquiry. Mr Kapuscinski expressed his support for the council’s proposals, saying that he doesn’t want houses built on the Dreamland site, as the first objectors, Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company (MTCRC), propose.

He then spoke of his excitement about the prospect of having a heritage amusement park on the site, saying that lots of young people prefer heritage rides to the speed rides at many other amusement parks and that he does not want a simulator on the site, as MTCRC are proposing. Summing up his views, Mr Kapuscinski said that “Dreamland is a place of magic, not just for adults but for kids too...so many people love Dreamland for what it is.”

After he had finished speaking, in response to a suggestion by Mr. Glover, the barrister acting for MTCRC, that he may not have fully understood the MTCRC’s proposals, Mr. Kapascinski said that he had been following the Inquiry proceedings on the internet and had seen the MTCRC proposals.

The Inquiry then went on to hear from Jonathan Bryant, giving evidence on behalf of the council.
kapuscinski

Postby vince69619 » 17 Feb 2012, 17:57

Well done young man.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby Gary » 17 Feb 2012, 18:08

vince69619 wrote:Well done young man.

Vince.

I second that! :D

For some reason I thought the CPO hearing wasn't due to begin until next week. Jeez..I'm definately losing my mind!

Keeping everything crossed and good luck to all!

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 17 Feb 2012, 21:19

Somebody kiss and hug that kid... and get him involved.

I said a while back that getting the local children involved would be a huge boon.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porterm » 19 Feb 2012, 14:12

Great stuff young man! - just goes to show you cannot pull the wool over everyone's eyes, however MTCRC attempt to manipulate matters.

As most of us already know, Dreamland is the last remaining bastion of coastal entertainment on the Kent coast. We have to keep it that way.

Martin
porterm

it was me!

Postby kapuscinski » 20 Feb 2012, 19:01

gavin here i just wanna say thankyou for all youre support and kepp supporting dreamland in the future.

oh yeah and look out for me in the thanet gazzette this friday!!!!!!
kapuscinski

it was me!

Postby kapuscinski » 20 Feb 2012, 19:09

this is what the summary was on the council website:

http://www.thanet.gov.uk/environment__p ... mmary.aspx

go to this link to see it or read it here:

The second session of the Public Inquiry into the council’s bid to confirm the compulsory purchase order of the Dreamland site has started, with the first of the council’s witnesses giving evidence.

Before the first witness was heard, however, a member of the public, 12 year old Margate resident Gavin Kapuscinski, addressed the Inquiry. Mr Kapuscinski expressed his support for the council’s proposals, saying that he doesn’t want houses built on the Dreamland site, as the first objectors, Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company (MTCRC), propose.

He then spoke of his excitement about the prospect of having a heritage amusement park on the site, saying that lots of young people prefer heritage rides to the speed rides at many other amusement parks and that he does not want a simulator on the site, as MTCRC are proposing. Summing up his views, Mr Kapuscinski said that “Dreamland is a place of magic, not just for adults but for kids too...so many people love Dreamland for what it is.”

After he had finished speaking, in response to a suggestion by Mr. Glover, the barrister acting for MTCRC, that he may not have fully understood the MTCRC’s proposals, Mr. Kapascinski said that he had been following the Inquiry proceedings on the internet and had seen the MTCRC proposals.

The Inquiry then went on to hear from Jonathan Bryant, giving evidence on behalf of the council.
kapuscinski

Postby Gary » 04 Mar 2012, 09:36

Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum