Geek 2012 - Margate Winter Gardens

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Geek 2012 - Margate Winter Gardens

Postby porterm » 19 Feb 2012, 14:25

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone had attended this gaming event at the Winter Gardens yet? http://gameexpoeastkent.co.uk/ I would like to have gone but have been busy working and have not felt so great sadly lately (wretched virus/lurgy cough thing).

Also, I thought the £12 entry fee was rather on the steep side, however if you're really into video gaming I guess it could be a small price to pay, even in these austere times! I'd be interested to know how many retro units they had. (Surely I wasn't the only person to own a Philips CDi player).

I recall an early 80s seafront arcade with a space theme, called something like "Space City"; anyone remember that?

Martin
porterm

Postby kapuscinski » 19 Feb 2012, 15:46

Now who's sorry, winter gardens was filled with gamers, the experiance was fantastic, so many old machines and games got binned, these few survive in working condition, and people were playing, a great back up was the old pin ball machines, a sound yet not replicated, the thud of steel balls, the clickety counter, and the pings GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
£12 to get in and play for free what you like????? how much does a new game cost???? you do the maths
kapuscinski

Postby porterm » 19 Feb 2012, 16:40

Glad to hear the event was well supported. Sorry I didn't get to go but I know a certain Medway Vince was making his way down today! Hope everyone had a great time. I heard there's a Soul music event next month at the West Coast Bar so I'll make every effort to attend that, on a slightly different tact. (I believe Cool Million are scheduled to play there if I heard right on Colourful Radio in the last week.

Cheers, Martin

(trying to get to grips with new iPhone I was lucky to win recently)
porterm

Postby AJ » 19 Feb 2012, 20:20

Dreamland, Philips CDi & Colourful radio I think you and I are cut from the same cloth.
AJ

Postby porterm » 19 Feb 2012, 21:01

How freaky AJ! - I hardly meet anyone who's ever heard of any of the latter two you mentioned, And for the record, yes, I still have my CDi player (and 2 old Philips Video 2000 VCR's for that matter, although no longer used).

Remember a CDi game called Space Ace? - I was incredibly useless at that one whereas my friends would actually get past the first level where the taxi pulls up! I know this is somewhat off Dreamland topic so I apologise, however I thought Geek 2012 should get a mention here as it was video arcade game related, and somewhat nostalgic now, post 1980.

Martin
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum