Respect/ Dreamland Demonstration

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Respect/ Dreamland Demonstration

Postby porterm » 28 Apr 2004, 03:01

Hello all,

I just wondered if anyone was planning to attend this Saturday's (May 1) demonstration outside Dreamland's gates. I always thought last year it could have been a good idea to have held a demo, however with the park now temporarily closed, I believe it will be another device to keep the Dreamland situation in the media's attention.

Whilst I know we should not really become involved in politics I think that some of their viewpoints on Dreamland ring fairly true in the present climate.

I'll be working nights from tonight but if anyone feels it could be advantageous to attend this event I will make every effort to go. Please let me know.

Martin :)

PS Great to see and hear about the recent media buzz on Dreamland in various channels this last week or so. I hope the momentum continues.
porterm

Postby Cheryl » 28 Apr 2004, 18:26

I have some reservations about this forthcoming demo. We do not really know who these people are and I always feel there is always a small minority set on creating trouble. I really hope I am wrong as bad behaviour will not help Dreamland's cause at all.

I do think a 'Save Dreamland Campaign' demo would be good idea though. We will be in Margate for the whitsun bank holiday and as this is a school half term there may be quite a few people around. Definitely Gez, my girls and myself would be up for this! Quite a few of us met at the 'Roaring 20s night' and regularly communicate on this site, we are 'one big family' in a way.

Two demos in as many weeks can't be a bad thing (providing the first one goes well of course). What does everyone think?
Cheryl
Cheryl

I am a bit worried

Postby Marky66 » 29 Apr 2004, 05:26

This "new" party seems to be an extreme left wing party that does tend to attract an element to demos that could well do more harm than good to the campaign to save dreamland.
It could be a disaster for the family image of the park, I hope I am wrong.
Marky66

Postby Cheryl » 07 May 2004, 09:36

Did any of our campaigners get to this demo? I was wondering how it went and if it made any valuable contribution to the saving of Dreamland. Was there any sort of news coverage.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Respect/ Dreamland Demo

Postby porterm » 07 May 2004, 11:39

Hello Cheryl,

No, sadly I didn't get to attend this event; pressure of work etc as I was on nights. I was also slightly put off by some of the comments made regarding this new political party. As I didn't really get much feedback from my initial request I decided against treking over there, especially as I was finishing work at 0615 each morning.

I believe there was a fairly low turnout and little or no media coverage, unless anyone else knows otherwise. Apparently there were some quite amusing placards however.

I believe a demo at Whitsun weekend would be good, especially if the park remains closed. As ever though I'm sadly working again that weekend; the only real chance I'd have to get down would be the morning of Sunday 30 & Monday 31 until about midday as I have to be at work by 1pm both days. Let me know what you think and I'll do anything possible to attend.

This offer is open to everyone on the Campaign naturally, so let's hear your views/ comments as soon as possible.

Martin
porterm

Postby Nick Evans » 07 May 2004, 17:58

Hi, According to today's Isle of Thanet Gazette (7 May) about 50 people attended the demo last weekend. Organiser Norman Thomas says this was very successful.

Judging by others' comments here on the forum, which I quite agree with, it seems the big turn off has been the fact that it was organised by a little known left wing political party.

Perhaps if SDC were to arrange somthing similar in the coming weeks - perhaps near the time of the Margate Master plan enquiry (?) in June, there would be many more willing to take part. I'm pretty sure I would get along and wave a banner! (provided it's not Sunday 20 June!).

Best wishes to all.

Nick Evans
Nick Evans

Postby Cheryl » 08 May 2004, 10:02

As I previously said, Gez, my girls and myself are ready and willing for a demo. I think it would be a fantastic idea; it could mark the anniversary of the convention at the Theatre Royal last year.

I have no problem with bringing my children as I have met a lot of you and know we will behave in a very respectable manner. Children would also highlight the family theme that we try to reflect.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum