Dreamland Exhibit in Maidstone

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland Exhibit in Maidstone

Postby porterm » 21 Apr 2012, 00:32

Hi all

Great to see in the latest Dreamland Trust Newsletter that we are having a visual exhibition depicting Dreamland's past, present and future in the new Kent History and Library Centre.

Like its new Margate counterpart in the Turner Contemporary the new buildings alone have caused quite a bit of controversy, apart form its rather non-user friendly location for ease of general access. (It even offers residential apartments as far as I know).

Despite the above, I now have a very good reason to pay the place an inaugural visit come this Monday (I certainly don't think I'd have been too inspired had this latest news not reached me).

Who knows, I may even do a trip report!

Martin
porterm

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Jun 2012, 20:10

Everyone here need to take someone to this.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porterm » 12 Jun 2012, 00:00

Hi Jim (et al)

I'll have to check back again to our new library to see if our exhibit has surfaced. For the record, this new facility apparently will not display any paper publicity flyers etc; a shortcoming highlighted in the local newspaper's letters page recently. (I've just come back from a short visit to Chicago/Indiana/Kentucky and Wisconsin on a road trip to catch a couple of coaster enthusiast events at Holiday World and Beech Bend; some great coasters there, especially Holiday World's intense woodie, The Voyage with ninety degree banked turns and numerous tunnels etc).

I also managed to ride the reincarnated former Zippin Pippin, purported to be Elvis' favourite coaster rebuilt at Green Bay, Wisconsin, from its former Libertyland location in Memphis. They appear to have done a tremendous job, especially with a rather surprising air kick at the end! (Only thing is I managed to hit the park on the very day that the local schools were out for the Summer and it was swarming with children).

Martin :D
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum