Godden- the Burning Question.

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Godden- the Burning Question.

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 03 May 2012, 10:45

I won't reproduce the article here because Thanet Watch deserves your 60p, but the current edition is worth a read.

Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 04 May 2012, 19:03

It has been pointed out to me that Thanet Watch is only available locally, but people living elsewhere have asked for a scan of the article for private use which I have sent, if anyone else wants one then PM me and I'll send it. Meanwhile, you might just find it on Facebook if you look for the I <3 Dreamland page...

It's only the third edition of Thanet Watch, and the first I've actually seen. I was in my local newsagent buying something else, glanced at a pile on the counter and did a double-take when I saw Billy Bunter's fat face beaming out at me from the front page with a background of flames.

The newsagent saw my double-take, grinned and said "It's a really good headline, isn't it?"

So I said "Yes, I'll take one of those, thanks!"

For anyone interested in Thanet affairs, it is available by post, £10 for 10 issues and I would personally recommend that as £1 an issue well spent.

There is a website here http://thanetwatch.wordpress.com/about/ with contact details for subscriptions etc.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 09 May 2012, 23:44

Funny about "Too Many Supermarkets" also.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Jun 2012, 20:29

If anyone accidentally scanned it and would like to send it to me for hosting, contact me.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Paper

Postby jmace9 » 10 Jun 2012, 20:44

I would be so greatful if someone could email this to me as i live in essex so no chance of getting it.

Thanks so much
John
jmace9

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 11 Jun 2012, 18:00

It's no problem sending a scan to anyone who wants one for personal use, but I'll have to send it as an email attachment as when I tried to send it as a Photobucket link through the PM system it was too small to read.

Just PM me an email address and I'll send it through.

Meanwhile, there is another article in this month's Thanet Watch mentioning Mr Godden and pointing out that the name "Thanet" is believed to derive from the Latin meaning "Island of fire", presumably because of the beacons which were lit on the North Foreland as an aid to navigation in Roman days but suggesting that this was a rather appropriate name for a place in which Mr Godden had so many business interests blighted by such bad luck. :wink:
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum