Dreamland Live?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland Live?

Postby vann98 » 25 May 2012, 15:36

Hey this morning I was watching BBC News when I came across an...interesting segment on Dreamland. I tried to find it again a minute ago but with no luck.

It talked of 'Dreamland Live' and new regeneration plans to transform the site into a (and don't quote me on this) Cultural..center? or something along those lines. The short article also mentioned a 4D experience space ride and that the owners would oversee plans for it in the Summer.

Now this sounds very much like MTCRC as they proposed the same kind of attraction but I am just confused as I have never heard the name 'Dreamland Live' associated with Dreamland. The clip had no mention of historic rides or of any new housing development which was a bit weird. The segment also made in seem like the development would defiantly go ahead.
I do not know if anybody could shed some light on this.

Thanks
vann98

Postby vince69619 » 25 May 2012, 20:36

Nothing coming up on a web search, but yes it does sound like the proposal the current owners were offering. My guess is it's a mixture of bigging up their proposal and miss reporting by the media. Now I wonder how often that can happen!

I wonder what the powers that be might make of this? It can only be the owners that would be behind this and it's possibly a case of trying to push the decision by using the media.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby porf » 28 May 2012, 18:23

The whole 4D simulator thing sounded very MTCRC, and this post at Tony Flaig's blog includes references to a Thanet Gazette article that would appear to verify that this is a 're-brand' of MTCRC to DreamlandLive.

http://bignewsmargate.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/dream-on-whats-name-worth.html

SSDD
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Peet » 28 May 2012, 18:32

Given the amount of Town Centre Regeneration that they achieved as MTCRC, this can only bode badly for their hopes for Dreamland!

But surely this won't affect the CPO inquiry in any way will it?
Peet

Postby vann98 » 28 May 2012, 21:00

I hope not. The council and Trust have gone through way to much to have it all ruined. It sounds awfully like MCTRC are attempting to play dirty with all this name change nonsense, and the fact that they seem to be influencing the media. As for the name, I feel insulted that they use Dreamland's name with a housing redevlopment program. I don't think I can bear calling them by their new title.
vann98

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 29 May 2012, 10:19

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Owners-Drea ... story.html

THE owners of Margate's Dreamland site are rebranding their company following the death of businessman Jimmy Godden.

Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company has relaunched itself as DreamlandLive. It is fighting a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) for the land and will be in Margate this summer to explain its proposals for the site.

DreamlandLive released a statement saying: "The owners recognise the need for Dreamland to continue as a public attraction.

"DreamlandLive's proposals include plans for a state-of-the-art 4D experience similar to the space simulator at Cape Canaveral in the USA, as well as ambitions to restore the Dreamland cinema.

"Housing is still a key part of how DreamlandLive plans to fund the new development, but since plans were first drawn up the number of homes included has been reduced by about 50 per cent, from 800 to 474."

Thanet council is attempting to buy the site, which it would hand to the Dreamland Trust to develop a heritage amusement park on the whole site.

DreamlandLive chief executive Toby Hunter believes that Thanet people do not understand the scale of borrowing the council would have to take on to make this scheme happen.

He said: "Firstly, I do not believe the CPO will go ahead. The law is not on the council's side. Secondly, the council does not have money to buy the land. It will be at least £2 million and could be up to £14 million."

Incidentally, if the number of houses being proposed has been reduced from 800 to 474, then I make this a reduction of 40.75%, which is not "about 50%" by any stretch of the imagination.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 30 May 2012, 18:26

Firstly and secondly?
Really?
Where did this hick go to school? A barn?
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porf » 06 Jun 2012, 19:09

They have a twitter feed, so far rather vacuous and mostly attempting to piggyback of the back of the success stories of Margate (Turner, Reading Rooms, Mary Portas, Emin) whilst slapping themselves on the back re. the interviews from Toby Hunter with the media and their plans for the site.

The twitter account is @DreamlandLive, several of their early followers work in PR, mostly at Bell Pottinger PR.

The same company has registered the dreamlandlive.com and .co.uk domains recently so I guess we'll be seeing some slick PR on these shortly in time for their "Public Consultation" in the summer.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby vann98 » 07 Jun 2012, 07:20

They sure seem to be confident with their vision. I really do hope it works in the councils favor.
Looks like they are really trying to re focus their company more on children with this new image they are working on. Whatever they are up to I do not want to know what dirty tricks they have up their sleeves. Wish they would stop trying to influence the decision though.

I personally don't like the idea of this 4D experience. They are okay but I can't see it being one of their signature attractions like they anticipate. In my opinion if Dreamland is only going to take up a small portion of the site I honestly can't see why they are bothering at all. The only way I can see it flourishing again is if the whole site is used hence why I want the heritage park proposals to go ahead.
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Jun 2012, 20:06

1. Yes, you (we) DO want to know their dirty tricks so we can initiate damage control.

2. It's out of their hands. They speak as if they've had the final word to fool the general population.

This applies to everyone. If you really want to see the whole of Dreamland saved, start writing proofread PAPER letters to council members and anyone else you can think of.
Contact Sarah or any of the moderators and get involved. Sitting at home or posting here only goes so far ...and not very.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby AJ » 09 Jun 2012, 14:06

These guys are on Twitter as @DreamlandLive so whenever they tweet their PR bull let's have answer and reply to their messages so people can see there is an alternative that is good for Margate. I'm looking forward to trolling them! I've already had one message directed at them retweeted by someone with 24k followers.
AJ

Postby Bob » 10 Jun 2012, 18:28

THe new MTRC plan seems to be financialy viable. The Save Drealand Plan does not appear to be financiaklly viable so that will be a big influence on the Council they will not wish to be picking up the tab for a failed Save Dreamland plan
Bob

Postby AJ » 10 Jun 2012, 20:35

^^^^ He's got out from under his bridge.

Yep a 4D cinema & new housing estate is just what Margate needs when the housing market is stagnant and to draw the tourists in. The only people this is financially viable for is Toby Hunter & MTCRC and certainly not for the future of Margate.
AJ

Postby aweber2us » 10 Jun 2012, 21:30

Who's MTRC , have they changed their name again this week?
aweber2us

Postby vann98 » 10 Jun 2012, 22:54

THe new MTRC plan seems to be financialy viable. The Save Drealand Plan does not appear to be financiaklly viable so that will be a big influence on the Council they will not wish to be picking up the tab for a failed Save Dreamland plan

It was only a matter of time...
Anyway whilst I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I really don't see why you continue to post here after all this time as everything you seem to post is negative and hardly constructive. If you are so anti Dreamland, then I don't understand why you don't just leave and let the people who actually care for the future of Dreamland get on with what we think. It is getting a little bit like spam and seems more like you are just posting to annoy us.
Again I think that everybody is entitled to what they believe but you seem to be overstepping the boundary and just posting to troll this forum.

Finally, in the future you may want to spell check your posts before you submit them. It is hard to take you seriously otherwise..[/quote]
vann98

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum