The hunt for the Big wheel... Found!

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

The hunt for the Big wheel... Found!

Postby Mikeh » 24 Jun 2012, 16:54

First time posting but as a child i use to go to Margate every year and a trip to dreamland was always greeted by seeing the big wheel for miles around

After reading up on this the only news i can find about where is has gone is to Mexico but no one is telling who the buyer was or where it is now so I have tried to find it

But the only thing I can find seems to be its twin in an abundant theme park in Berlin called Spreepark

Looking at the old Margate one and this one there makeup and layout are the same so I’m thinking there made buy the same company?

Old Margate big wheel

Spreepark big wheel

Even if this is not the same big wheel getting this for the new dreamland will give the park back that view from miles around and looking at its shape and layout its already family :) and I bet it could be got for a steal ;)

Also if anyone has any info on the original one that would be great

Edit! The original wheel has now been found! scroll down :-)
Last edited by Mikeh on 29 Jun 2012, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.
Mikeh

Postby vann98 » 24 Jun 2012, 21:44

Hello and welcome to the forums.
You are correct in thinking that it went to Mexico. To be honest I think very little people know the the owner is. The last I heard, it was brought to Mexico where it was simply left in pieces on a dock/pier due to its deteriorating condition.

It is hard to tell if it is the same ride though I imagine it was manufactured by the same company. The only main difference, is the carriages are not circular like the ones at Dreamland were.
Anyway as great as it would be to see the land mark big wheel reinstated, I believe there are two main reasons why this would not be the best decision.

In the 90's the metal on the wheel slowly began to expand in the heat of the sun which contributed to it deteriorating.
The ride was pretty old even when Dreamland had it. I imagine it would be more trouble than its worth.

The second reason is the ride was removed due to the fact that the amount of space that it took up did not justify the amount of guests it was getting. I recon the space would be better of used for something else. In addition to this, We already have a smaller big wheel in storage which is more likely to be a success due to its size.

Anyway that is mainly just my opinion. It was a great ride back in its day.
Maybe Nick or someone else has more information on it?
vann98

Postby dave771 » 24 Jun 2012, 22:43

The big wheel was sold in 1997 to Rene Aziz at the Magico Theme Park group in Mexico. After a quick search this evening Rene Aziz is President of Grupo Divertido, Mexico which run 17 Family Entertainment Centers across Mexico.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby woody » 25 Jun 2012, 11:58

it was built by Metrim Precision based at Wakefield
woody

Postby Mikeh » 25 Jun 2012, 23:08

Guys I think I may have found her... going on what dave771 said I have located this at Salitre Mágico

Looks like she has been repainted but if this is her its good to know that its not rotting away somewhere like we thought

seems like our girl
Mikeh

Postby dave771 » 26 Jun 2012, 17:14

Well done Mike that is my old wheel !!! I heard that it never went back up in Mexico but the news reports from when it came down in 1997 say it went to Magico Theme Park in Mexico to a guy called Rene Aziz and looking at the sign that says Magico it has to be our old wheel. There are some great photos of our wheel coming down in 1997 on the campaign Facebook page I <3 Dreamland. Have a look at https://www.facebook.com/savedreamlandcampaign/photos
dave771

Postby Chris H » 26 Jun 2012, 17:59

Im shocked!!

To be honest i never thought it again.
It must be returned to Margate :lol:

And people said it was beyond repair :roll:
Chris H

Postby vann98 » 26 Jun 2012, 18:20

Well that's my sources thrown out the window. Did not think I would see that again!
Looks nice but I still preferred it in Dreamland. At least we know where it is no though.
vann98

Postby porterm » 29 Jun 2012, 01:44

Wow - never thought we'd ever see this wheel again. I always thought it was made by either Intamin or Vekoma; looks like Metrim Precision made a one-off with Dreamland's wheel.

Should anyone have time on their hands I found a lengthy list of big wheels and their movements here; http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/history/ ... heel1.html

Have fun with the above!

It was interesting to note that, the then, Morecambe Pleasure park also acquired a large Big Wheel in the same year as Dreamland's debuted wheel (1980), but this one was very short lived owing to local controversy I believe.

Martin :D
porterm

Postby dave771 » 29 Jun 2012, 11:54

Im not sure, I will have to make some further inquiries but im certain it was made by Vekoma. Will find out and let you all know when I get chance.
dave771

Postby Mikeh » 29 Jun 2012, 17:03

Mikeh

Postby woody » 29 Jun 2012, 23:29

dave771 wrote:Im not sure, I will have to make some further inquiries but im certain it was made by Vekoma. Will find out and let you all know when I get chance.

it may of been built to there plans but was built in the uk under license, this is very common
woody

Postby Alan » 02 Jul 2012, 22:13

The main attraction of Spreepark was its Ferris wheel, which was replaced in 1989, The one before that looked more like the one at Margate! Also on You Tube recordings made in 2011 and this year worth a look of the park.

Alan
Alan

Postby blue » 03 Jul 2012, 19:58

Isn't there a big thing at the moment for big wheels? Since the London eye, I have seen them popping up all over the place but they seem to be short term. They had one at Great Yarmouth, Greenwich by the Cutty Sark, and on the Hoe at Plymouth in the last few years.
blue

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum