BBC Local South East News Item

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

BBC Local South East News Item

Postby porterm » 03 May 2004, 20:26

Hi all,

I was in a bar in Medway this afternoon and suddenly caught an item showing Margate's seafront and former Dreamland rides in operation. Also I saw Sarah Vickery featured in her Shell Grotto. Unfortunately there was no sound on this TV so I do hope they repeat the feature again later tonight; I'll set the recorder!

Did anyone else see this? - I was interested to know if the seafront was actually filmed today as the weather looked pretty overcast and not many people around.

Fingers crossed they repeat this later on again tonight! (why didn't I stay indoors now this afternoon?? - always the way)

Martin
porterm

News

Postby dave771 » 03 May 2004, 20:39

Hi Martin, in answer to your question, yes it was filmed this afternoon, I went to see Sarah this afternoon and the report was basically about how quiet Margate has been while Dreamland has been closed and falling visitor numbers to the area, Sarah could probably tell you more but the report was quite short so dont think there was much more,

Dave
dave771

BBC Local News Item

Postby porterm » 04 May 2004, 07:02

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I've just watched the late news edition from yesterday and the item was not featured sadly. Thank you for telling me what the general context was though; it was good of the BBC to bring cameras down on the May Day holiday Monday.

I'll have to try to catch the local news tonight. Maybe Meridian will also have a feature.

Martin

PS A lady at my work told me last night, via someone she knows in Thanet, that the Dreamland site was to have flats built on it. Surely this is not the most creative idea that Thanet District Council can concoct for such a historic site. If this criminal idea succeeds it will obviously do absolutely nothing for Thanet's future tourism.
porterm

Postby Sarah » 05 May 2004, 14:01

I have sent the content of the story over to Nick to be added to the News page.

There's no doubt that Margate is much quieter; Grotto visitors are down by 25% and we're not alone in noticing it. The Campaign has been proved right on this point, but I take no pleasure from that. Margate is dying on its feet at the moment.

Sarah
Sarah

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum