Arrived and park was closed!!

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Arrived and park was closed!!

Postby wt7881 » 10 May 2004, 19:15

My wife and I booked a hotel in Margate (we live in London) and turned up at the Dreamland site last weekend only to find that it was closed! Even the signs on the motorway gave no indication that this was the case. This used to be a place that we loved coming to as kids in the 1980s. In the event, we cancelled our hotel reservation and drove down to the South coast instead. All a perfect example of how Margate missed out on serious spending - I imagine that between us we would have spent well over 150 quid over the weekend. Multiply that by the total number of potential visitors and you can very quickly see how Margate is going to quickly become run down as it misses out on expenditure like this. There must be loads of other people in the same boat as me.
wt7881

Postby Alan » 10 May 2004, 23:15

Yes we take our children to Margate, But not this year as there is no Dreamland, Have made our way to Southend instead.

Alan
Alan

Postby porterm » 12 May 2004, 02:48

Yes, sadly it is not until the park gates are finally locked up that the true situation tends to hit the general public. Glad to see you've signed up to the Campaign though. I hope many more people will now, when they show up at the Dreamland gates for a potential day of fun.

I must say I haven't driven down to Margate yet this year, so have not noticed what has happened to the former Dreamland road signage. I guess they still say the park opens for the season on 11 April 2003!

Martin

PS Anyone up for a non-disruptive public-awareness demonstration outside Dreamland next month? - on the first anniversary of the Theatre Royal Save Dreamland Event would be fitting I guess
porterm

Postby Ian » 12 May 2004, 07:32

I must say I haven't driven down to Margate yet this year, so have not noticed what has happened to the former Dreamland road signage. I guess they still say the park opens for the season on 11 April 2003!

Martin

Yes it does. The signs start at the St. Nicholas-at-Wade roundabout on the Thanet Way (A299) so that's about 6 or 7 miles from Dreamland, and then continue all the way to the sea front.

PS Anyone up for a non-disruptive public-awareness demonstration outside Dreamland next month? - on the first anniversary of the Theatre Royal Save Dreamland Event would be fitting I guess[/quote]

In a word, yes.

Cheers
Ian
Ian

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum