Dreamland

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland

Postby Lou » 16 May 2004, 10:45

I hope that WHEN Dreamland is reopened, it will be like the dreamland I remember as a child. Before Bemboms and Godden.
This is not being sentimental, this is realising that the have a really good attraction there must be characters interested in putting on a good show, not workers that have no enthusiasm because they are paid a pittance for their time. People renting or owning there own rides, sideshows and therefore putting their heart and sole into their own business, radiating their personalities throughout Dreamland, bringing it back to life.
The whole dreamland site should be family friendly with comfortable places to sit and reasonable cafes selling decent food. There should be care taken with the surroundings, with trees and flowers. This would mean that Dreamland would cater for all the family, those able to go on the rides but also those unable too but are happy to sit and watch.
I wish I had a spare 10 million or so, I know what I'd spend it on!!!!!! :D
Lou

Postby Alan » 16 May 2004, 12:53

Hi.
When you say that you like it as was before, Do you mean with all old rides or with old and new.
I do not think that the park will open with all old rides.

Alan
Alan

Postby Lou » 16 May 2004, 13:08

Hi Alan,
No I don't mean just old rides! I mean atmosphere! I mean ensuring that Dreamland caters for all. As I said I wasn't being purely sentimental, I believe in looking at the positives that Dreamland has (or had) and incorportating them into a place where everyone, young, old, disabled, sight - impaired, hearing - impaired etc, etc, etc, would like to visit - new rides, old rides, burger bars, salad bars, perhaps a free playground and adventure playground! Basically something for everyone.........where you can go home and think, ' I've had a fantastic day, and I can't wait to go again'.
Lou

Postby Alan » 16 May 2004, 17:39

[quote= No I don't mean just old rides! I mean atmosphere! '.[/quote]

Yes I know what you are saying about atmosphere, Lets hope the park turns out like Adventure Island Southend.

Alan
Alan

Dreamland

Postby porterm » 21 May 2004, 01:59

Hi Lou et al,

Yes, I'd also like some old favourites to be rebuilt, if possible. The River Caves (or "tubs") ride was synonymous with Dreamland for decades. Sadly, I only got to ride it once on my inaugural visit around 1977. I thought it was a highly unique ride; a cross between a dark ride and tunnel of love I guess. I was devastated to suddenly see it ripped to pieces in the early 80's; the big water wheel was one time stored to the back of the astroglide I seem to remember, after the final destruction of the caves. At first the entrance platform was retained for concerts/ stage shows but later the whole entrance structure was sadly consigned to history.

I think that family rides such as the aforementioned would be well-suited to a new regenerated Dreamland, along with a mix of modern thrill rides like roller coasters and water splash/ plunge rides. A new dominant signature ride would be a very useful draw for the park relaunch, not forgetting the continued importance of the classic Scenic Railway.

Martin
porterm

Postby coastercrazydan » 25 May 2004, 17:32

My first visit was last year on the Roahing 20's Night, shame that I have not experianced the real Dream Land, but still, I had some fun at the place with just the Scenic Railway, but it would be nice to get some old classics back and maybe some news ones but this all prussuming it reopens :(
coastercrazydan

Postby Dave And Chris » 30 Jun 2004, 19:48

Dear Lou

I think if dreamland gets the full go ahead,i think it would be a good idea
to have a section of the park able to hold pop concerts.This would be good publicity for dreamland
Please get back to me with what you think

from chris
D.A Field

C. Holden
Dave And Chris

Postby Lou » 30 Jun 2004, 20:46

Hi there Chris,
Yep, that sounds like a brilliant idea to me, but also have to think of the local residents, depends where in Dreamland they would be held. Obviously a good place may be the bit where the amusements were as you walk down into Dreamland on the left hand side (i think this is quite a large area), and no people living to close by.
Lou
Lou

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum