Off Topic (Slightly); Pleasure Beach Fire

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Off Topic (Slightly); Pleasure Beach Fire

Postby porterm » 21 May 2004, 01:40

Hi all,

Just saw a news report on the ITV News Channel late last night concerning a huge fire that had broken out at Pleasure Beach, Blackpool. Apparently the fire started around the Grand National station building and spread to the nearby Alice in Wonderland and Trauma Towers attractions. I read on the BBC news website that the Grand National's track appeared to escape the fire but the other two attractions seem to be slightly damaged. A local member of the European Coaster Club has reported that the Grand National signage tower appeared to be still standing and looked ok. It sounds like the station area will need some rebuilding work however. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds; I only recently rode the National when I visited along with a member of the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain during their Blackpool Bash event.

It just goes to show maybe that it is not just JG park operations that are affected by the ravages of fire. I remember around 1970 when I lived in London the sudden inferno on Battersea Funfair's Big Dipper, apparently caused by arson. Sadly, after being partly rebuilt, in 1972 the ride had its fatal accident when the train plunged backwards down the lifthill, killing, I believe five people. The park unfortunately never recovered after this incident and, with several fires later, eventually closed for good around 1974.

Let's hope the National will still be able to operate for the rest of the season, and has not sustained any real structural damage on this rare classic ride.

Martin
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum