NEW FUNFAIR SITES

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

NEW FUNFAIR SITES

Postby Cheryl » 24 May 2004, 09:37

Isn't it interesting that TDC are looking for funfair sites. A better location than Dreamland surely cannot be found. You can almost hear the local news reports at the end of the season hailing these sites a huge success.

Perhaps my glass is always half-empty, but (to me anyway) the Council seem hell bent on closing Dreamland. Terminology like 'life after Dreamland' isn't helpful.

The realisation of lack of visitors has obviously hit home, but to admit that they need Dreamland - heaven forbid!
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby Graeme » 25 May 2004, 18:54

I agree that Dreamland is a good site for an amusement park. It's just off the promenade and, more importantly, it has the Scenic Railway!

I don't know the back-story to this. Are Thanet District Council looking for an alternative permanent amusement park site, or are they looking for fields suitable for travelling funfairs? I don't blame them looking for the latter, as if Dreamland gets developed into a new amusement park (which it hopefully will!), there presumably will no longer be room for temporary funfair rides each year.

If they are looking for alternative amusement park sites, good luck to them with that too, as I don't have any objection to Margate having two high-quality amusement parks. That would be great! :wink:
Graeme

Postby Sarah » 25 May 2004, 23:18

Yes the council are looking at alternative travelling funfair sites - see the News page. Our new tourism chief insists that the closure of Dreamland is "irrelevent" in their search for a travelling fairground. I am lost for words.

He also says that the talks are "very, very exciting". Funny that. I would have thought that the opportunity to attract a highly-respected inward investor to Margate with £10 million to spend would be very, very exciting. No? Must be just me then.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby PAUL HUGHES » 28 May 2004, 16:48

sarah you took the words right out of my mouth! irrelevent, ha!
PAUL HUGHES

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum