If Dreamland opens this year

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

If Dreamland opens this year

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 26 May 2004, 15:12

On the "latest news" page, it is reported that the park may open for July and August.

If so, will the Scenic Railway be running? I presume that it has not had the usual winter maintenance this year. Will it be possible to do this in time for a July opening?

Vince Charlie & Sam
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Sarah » 26 May 2004, 17:59

My understanding is that the Scenic will be up and running if - and it's still only if - the park opens.

I think Dave has previously said that it would take around eight weeks to do the necessary maintenance. But I guess if you get enough people working on it, it would be feasible to halve that time.

Fingers crossed.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 26 May 2004, 18:48

Thanks Sarah. Most if not all preserved railways are run by volunteers. I`ve said before that I would be willing to give what time I can spare to get the Scenic running, and if this is of any help, just let me know. I`m sure there must be others willing to do likewise. Any volunteers?

Incidentally, is it my imagination, or is Margate very quiet this year? To me, the seafront seems emptier this season than I have ever seen it

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby AJ » 26 May 2004, 19:40

Count me in on that as well Vince!!

Haven't been down to Margate this year and I don't intend on visiting unless Dreamland reopens. I have talked a number of people out of visiting Margate as the less people that visit then maybe TDC will sit up and take notice!! Its extremly sad as I have visited Margate at least a couple of times a year for the past 10 years. But if Dreamland does manage to reopen this year then I will be visiting every spare moment I get and will be dragging every friend, family & foe with me!!!
AJ

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 26 May 2004, 20:27

AJ wrote:
Haven't been down to Margate this year and I don't intend on visiting unless Dreamland reopens.

Me too, and I only live a mile away. Thanet District Council must have noticed the decline in visitors this year. Trade is so quiet that I`m sure that many Margate traders will be unable to pay Business Rates this year. TDC`s answer to that will be to take them to Court and have them closed down.

Well, marvellous. More boarded-up premises. That`s <sarcasm> exactly what Margate needs <sarcasm/>

But like I said, I`m prepared to get my hands dirty to get the Scenic running. Heights, hard work, splinters? Pah, bring it on. If there is any chance of getting it up and running, I`ll be there. And if there is any chance of getting the Scenic running, I`m sure there will be many more who will do the same.

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby porf » 26 May 2004, 22:02

Count me in as well on anything needed to get the Scenic up and running. Quite happy to help out with most things.

My partner Rhyannon is a painter and still happy to paint trains etc. as we mentioned to Dave last year.

My only visit this year was in February (for a pinball event) so I can't comment on how quiet it is, but the Margate guest house currently up for sale on Ebay points towards the resort getting quieter.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby coasternutter » 27 May 2004, 20:16

Count me in. Any help I can give you only need to ask
coasternutter

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 27 May 2004, 20:45

coasternutter wrote:Count me in. Any help I can give you only need to ask

This is the thing. Although the Scenic Railway has been a commercial enterprise for 83 years, it`s in difficulty now because of one man`s greed.

If it opens this year, it will be because of people who want to see it preserved for future generations. Rather than making another few million when they have millions already.

I`ll be there at the top of the pull-up replacing wooden slats on my day off if needs be. Don`t want nothing for it.

Just want to get the Scenic up and running. Just let me know.

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Scenic

Postby dave771 » 27 May 2004, 21:48

Hi, just wanted to point out if the Scenic opens this year it will be for the following reasons-

Mr Godden wants to make money by getting rent paid for use of the ride,

The intrested operator wants to run the ride to make a profit and the park will be let as a whole rather than the park and the Scenic seperate,

Dreamland have also asked me for any funds left from last year to go towards the running of the Scenic for another operator to use, there is not a great deal left and it certainly is not there for a profit making organisation to increase their profits, I will be making the figures for last year public as soon as the tax bill has been calculated just so everyone can see for themselves that I am not "loaded" as people seem to think,

Dave
dave771

Re: Scenic

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 27 May 2004, 21:55

dave771 wrote:just so everyone can see for themselves that I am not "loaded" as people seem to think,

Hello Dave. Nobody said that!

We`ll see you in August, God willing. We`re the ones who always sit up front. But you knew that already!

See you soon. If you need help to get the Scenic running, just let me know. Me and everyone else.

Vince, Charlie and Sam.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Alan » 27 May 2004, 22:05

Hi, We are interested and impressed with the way members are anxious and that they are offering their time, skills and volunteering their manpower to ensure the Scenic Railway could be maintained and run for when the Go-ahead is given. Of course we would like to contribute and be part of any repair maintainance and volunteer ourselves also.

However our concern is about has Dave been contacted yet about running the Scenic Railway by the owner or whoever else can give the go-ahead as the time scale is now very short and very tight for even voluntary action before the peak tourists season this July/August.

We are assuming that replacement timber ect may have to be imported plus the time officials may need advance planning for the yearly important Safety Inspection.

We also wondered if more money needs to be raised for expense items such as insurance, maintainance cost and any other unknown quantity and how this may be overcome.

Alan
Alan

Scenic

Postby dave771 » 28 May 2004, 23:55

Hi Vince Charlie and Sam, I wasnt reffering to you making those comments but comments have been made by others along those lines, unlike Colin Kiddell I have nothing to hide and am quite happy to share figures from the ride with anyone who wishes to see them, I have been aproached by Dreamland Leisure regarding money left from last year, and was quite shocked that Godden intends to rent the ride out to another operator yet is asking for my financial help to get it up and running, however much I want to see the ride running again I am in no way going to assist Dreamland Leisure or another businessman financially to get it running so they can make a huge profit, maybe they want to try contacting the so called "Scenic Railway Trust" as to where certain monies are but apparently Mr Kiddell does not want to discuss that! Cant think why that may be? The repairs on the ride are Mr Goddens responsibility and up to him and the new operator to discuss but I will be having no part in it im afraid,

Dave
dave771

Postby AJ » 29 May 2004, 14:24

Damn right Dave!! You and Simon (John as well but he was a Godden employee) worked bloody hard to get the Scenic running and keeping it running successfully all season!! I mean its not as if Godden is short of a bob or two, it must take just a little while to count his piggy bank!! After all its the owner of the 'Listed Building's' responsiblility to keep it in good repair not the bloke who paid enough money a year ago for the lease to keep on paying a year later is it!!
AJ

scenic

Postby dave771 » 29 May 2004, 17:43

Cheers AJ
dave771

Postby coasternutter » 30 May 2004, 11:30

AJ wrote:Damn right Dave!! You and Simon (John as well but he was a Godden employee) worked bloody hard to get the Scenic running and keeping it running successfully all season!! I mean its not as if Godden is short of a bob or two, it must take just a little while to count his piggy bank!! After all its the owner of the 'Listed Building's' responsiblility to keep it in good repair not the bloke who paid enough money a year ago for the lease to keep on paying a year later is it!!

You have got it in a nutshell there. I thought it was Goddens responsibility, as a listed building, to keep it in good repair. If that is the case then surely it should be ready to run straight away? Or am I being nieve? Goddens money tends to get spent as soon as he has it, he invests in property, latest a large Hotel in Margate. So he never seems to have the readies for things like repairs. Money management doesn't seem to be his strong point. It doesn't surprise me that he wants someone else to pay for maintainance of his ride. After all why , in his mind, spend money that he doesn't have to.
coasternutter

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum