CPO Approved

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: CPO Approved

Postby woody » 18 Aug 2012, 07:42

woody

Postby rcard » 18 Aug 2012, 08:51

Congratulations! This is great news and I look forward to visiting Dreamland once it's up and running.

A pity about that appalling Guardian article. It makes it look like all the money is coming from the council and none from the lottery and other sources. This has lead to comments about a waste of taxpayers money. Not that spending public money on regeneration is wasted anyway, but I don't think the article paints the venture in the best light. Worse still it's a Press Association release, so it will likely appear in that form in a few places.
rcard

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 18 Aug 2012, 09:20

Thanks for the tip-off, woody. Take a look at my additions to that comment thread on The Guardian...

Rob
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby aweber1us » 18 Aug 2012, 09:25

This is great news ,i look forward to may be helping out and meeting the many names on this forum.
aweber1us

Postby blue » 18 Aug 2012, 16:58

Well done to all of those involved. A truly great victory for common sense and justice.

When things were looking bleak, the team kept going, knowing that they were fighting for not only their idea but also to keep the memories of great times past of many people alive. In two years time, my son who will be 10 will be able to walk into Dreamland just as I had done (many many years ago) and go wow as he looks around at the sights and sounds of a truly great park.

Thanks guys and gals
blue

Postby Nick » 18 Aug 2012, 19:54

porf wrote:I believe the CPO was for the entire site based on the documents submitted by TDC.

The last thing I recall hearing regarding usage was that the heritage park would use about half the site with the remainder used for parking, events and possible expansion.

That is correct. The CPO covers the entire site. In 2014 Dreamland will include the Stage 1 rides and attractions, a car park and an events space, which between them will utilise the whole site.

We are all looking forward to getting onto site and making this happen.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 18 Aug 2012, 22:15

Nick, you are an Absolute Superstar! :D :D :D

We just can't wait to ride the Scenic Railway again, Charlie and Sam have been talking about it non-stop all weekend.

Once again, thanks for all you have done. My only regret is that "Bob" hasn't dropped by to add his comment. :wink:
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby EAS » 19 Aug 2012, 21:52

I thought there was a VERY strong case... but it's always fingers crossed... the best of news.

(YIPEEEE... )
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby smilerbaker » 20 Aug 2012, 07:38

Excellent news! very well done everyone involved, I'm really looking forward to visiting Dreamland again.

do you know if there are any plans for vintage arcades? I know the pinball museum is down that way, you could incorporate that with some of the classics, space invaders, defender, starwars, the classic 80's and 90's sega machines etc, then I'd truly be in heaven :)

maybe worth opening talks with the members of UKVAC (http://www.ukvac.com/) between them they have just about every machine ever built.
smilerbaker

Postby barcrest » 20 Aug 2012, 10:47

Well done guys, this is fantastic news. :D
barcrest

Postby sullee » 20 Aug 2012, 11:40

Ive been following the progress of this decision for the past 4 1/2 years (I only joined in 09 but Ive been following longer!!). I spent loads of my childhood at the park, and a season working there during the godden era so the place holds loads of memories for me. Im thrilled that all of the hard work and dedication on the part of Nick & the team for the CPO bid has paid off and that the government has seen sense and realised how important the park is to Margate. Well done guys( raises glass) you really do deserve a massive pat on the back for all your hard work and I cant wait to see the fruits of your labour when the place reopens!!
sullee

Postby vince69619 » 20 Aug 2012, 16:45

Look what happens when we take a long weekend away. Great news. So proud of the team and myself for being a supporter for so long.

Really emotional here in Reading!

Vince.
vince69619

Postby ex harry gray » 20 Aug 2012, 19:11

well wait can i say!!!! it's all been said above, atfotf say 2013, on here 2014? wot ever year i can not wait!!!
dave

fagb member 208
fairground society life member 44
ex harry gray

Postby vann98 » 21 Aug 2012, 08:38

I just hope that they don't try anything to delay the CPO.
I heard that they were considering an appeal, though to be honest, would it really be worth it? They would have to waste a load more money on the appeal, and they would need to be sure that they would win the case or else it would not be worth all the effort.
Besides, I think we have seen that since Friday, the public are much more in favor of the Heritage Park, so their scheme is hardly in the public interest.

I don't suppose anybody knows an approximate date of when the title will be secured and access to the site will be granted?
vann98

Postby woody » 21 Aug 2012, 08:52

6 week to appeal, then 2 to 3 months for possession
woody

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum