New Photo Gallery

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

New Photo Gallery

Postby Nick » 05 Jun 2004, 08:21

We have added a brand new photo gallery to the Save Dreamland website, showing photographs of Dreamland from the 1960s through to nthe early 1980s. I am sure that you will all agree that these photographs are fantastic. Many thanks to regular Dreamland visitor Barry Cox for allowing us to use the photographs.

http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/gallery6.htm

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 05 Jun 2004, 08:50

Excellent gallery, thanks Barry! Incredible to see the park back through the decades. I was pleased to see there were even aerial shots! Dreamland looked so much better with all those trees.

The 80s Bembom photos certainly brought back a few memories, especially the one that shows the view as soon as you entered the park (the one with the figures guarding the Scenic Railway and the sign pointing to the Looping Star).

As good as the park was, I think I'm being totally realistic in saying it can be even better in the future, if Thanet District Council just believe in it!
Graeme

Postby Bobby » 25 Jun 2004, 13:38

Hi. In one of the photos form the 80's it shows the looping star.

is this the same looping star that was in the park a few years ago next to the log flume i think.

I know there was one similar that was replaced with the Orange looping star where the eclipse was
Bobby

Postby Graeme » 25 Jun 2004, 17:28

Bobby,

1981-1994, there was a Schwarzkopf Looping Star. That was both the model name and the name Dreamland decided to give it. This was a blue coaster and the largest of all the "Looping Stars" Margate had.

1999(or earlier)-2001, there was another ride they called "Looping Star". This was a Pinfari ZL42. Don't know what colour this was or where it was located.

2001-2002, a Schwarzkopf Silver Arrow was put on the old Water Chute site and called "Looping Star". This was the orange coaster.

Hope this helps. Information from http://www.rcdb.com/
Graeme

Postby Bobby » 25 Jun 2004, 22:40

yes that helps.

I just didnt know if the Schwarzkopf Looping Star and the later Pinfari ZL42. had the same track design. By the looks of the pictures the first one looks very similar to the second one that i have seen.

BTW the Pinfari ZL42. was also white and like i said before did look like it had a similar track design.
Bobby

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum