Appeal - Has time run out / DreamlandLive enter an appeal

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Appeal - Has time run out / DreamlandLive enter an appeal

Postby Cheryl » 06 Oct 2012, 08:16

Reading the news page and the article in the Gazette from 14th September, it appears at that point an appeal had not officially been lodged and that they were seeking advice from Lawyers regarding it. If the CPO was granted on 17th August and they had six weeks to appeal that means time was up on 28th September.

So, have they now lodged their appeal or has time ran out for them? I sincerely hope it is the latter.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Re: Appeal - Has time run out?

Postby porf » 13 Oct 2012, 22:35

Jan Leandro posted the following as part of a reply on the Dreamland Margate facebook page in response to a question yesterday which implies she believes there is still further time for them to appeal:

The CPO was approved by the Secretary of State August this year. There is a period in which the owners can object again - deadline this month.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 16 Oct 2012, 19:36

Reading the article on Wayne Hemingway and his possible involvement with the Trust there was this paragraph
The trust met this week to discuss plans for the park which is currently awaiting an appeal by owners DreamlandLive against the Government's decision to approve Thanet council's buyout of the park

Looks like the b*****ds must have appealed. And if anyone from MTCRC, sorry DreamlandLive are reading how about these for new company mission statements 'destroying Margate brick by brick' or 'sucking the life out of Margate since 2003' or my favourite 'still holding Margate to ransom'.
AJ

Postby porf » 26 Oct 2012, 17:13

Looks to be confirmed that DreamlandLive put an appeal in last Friday.

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Dreamland-owners-launch-new-legal-fight-Margate/story-17188146-detail/story.html

THE owners of Margate's Dreamland site have launched a further legal fight against the Government's decision to grant Thanet council control of the park.

DreamlandLive, led by site owners Toby Hunter and representatives of Jimmy Godden's estate, lodged an appeal last Friday to challenge the compulsory purchase of the 16.5 acre site.

They say the Communities Secretary's decision is unlawful and will fight their case in the High Court.

Speaking exclusively to the Isle of Thanet Gazette, Toby Hunter said: "The Secretary of State has ignored Government guidelines and the Inspector's report.

"It is very disappointing we have reached this stage but the Dreamland Trust has been very disingenuous. We worked closely with them to secure funding for a heritage amusement park and then they jumped into bed with the council."

Thanet council's director of community services, Madeline Homer, said: "Naturally, we're very disappointed that DreamlandLive has launched an appeal against the Secretary of State's decision."

Initial estimates mean it could be as long as nine months before an appeal hearing date is set.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Re: Appeal - Has time run out / DreamlandLive enter an appea

Postby thewonkydonkey » 27 Oct 2012, 14:15

I know so many people waiting to invest in Margate, bringing new cool shops and business ideas into the town. All waiting for Dreamland work to start, so this news is a crying shame....
The Wonky Donkey Emporium
Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration

http://www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk
mail@wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk
+447990 524054
thewonkydonkey

Postby Chris H » 27 Oct 2012, 17:23

They are just simply wasting there own time and money.

So what if it is another 9 months or a year even, no one argues with the government.

Dreamland will return!! :D
Chris H

Postby vann98 » 28 Oct 2012, 08:06

I believe it is only nine months until a court date can be arranged. The entire process could take up to three years apparently, though I hope it wont.

You ask me. I don't think the Scenic will survive that long. Both schemes need it, why not just revive it while it is still there.
I guess it would just mean SBNO until the rest of the park could be build.
vann98

Postby vince69619 » 29 Oct 2012, 12:47

In my opinion it's time for an urgent works notice to be served and for work on the scenic to commence.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby aweber2us » 29 Oct 2012, 13:47

So much good work has been done with and without an urgent works notice . But the star of the show has been left to rot, i ccould never get ny head around how the Cinema came first?
aweber2us

Postby woody » 29 Oct 2012, 22:44

vince69619 wrote:In my opinion it's time for an urgent works notice to be served and for work on the scenic to commence.

Vince.

+1
no reason why the currant owners have not already started work on it? :wink:

are they going to pay back the 800k eu grant :shock:
woody

Postby vann98 » 30 Oct 2012, 18:50

I was always given the impression that the urgent works notice were served on Dreamland so the listed assets such as the Scenic could be restored and preserved regardless of ownership until such a time when plans were finalized for the site. As soon as a contractor is chosen, I would have thought work may have commenced.
I myself am no builder or engineer but I just don't see it lasting that many more years in its current condition.
All it needs if for some extreme weather to hit it or some brainless fool to finish off the job of burning it.
Unlikely scenarios perhaps, but being in Margate it does make me worry slightly. The town hardly attracts much luck.
vann98

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum