How will it affect Margate??

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

How will it affect Margate??

Postby blue » 11 Oct 2012, 18:49

Not sure if many people know on here but Paramount Pictures have unvailed plans for one of the worlds biggest theme parks to be built near Dartford, which is just about 60 miles from Margate. It's planned to be bigger than Disney Land Paris. There will be the biggest (in Europe) indoor watermark too. They claim the plans will take 18 months to get cleared, then another 4 - 5 years to build.

How does everyone think this will affect Margate? I think it can only be good news as the international visitors may take an extra day to visit Maragte to see the heritage park in its glory and relive the good ol' days.
blue

Re: How will it affect Margate??

Postby davidjohn » 11 Oct 2012, 21:15

Yes, I wondered if the New proposed Paramount theme park would effect Dreamland. I agree with the previous comment that if people travelled from other parts of the UK, and indeed from other countries, their interest in riding the attractions would not stop there. The distance from Dartford to Margate is no more than an hours travelling, a visitor from another country would almost certainly want to stay to include other parks . What better way to spend their time here than to see a park frome bygone days with all the charm of what Dreamland could offer, and vice versa.
davidjohn

Postby vann98 » 11 Oct 2012, 22:33

I considered this and I honestly don't think it will have a negative aspect on Dreamland in the slightest.
1) This Paramount park is far beyond competition for Dreamland. It is Thorpe park who better watch their backs.

2) More international visitors would surely mean at least a small portion of them coming to check out other UK parks and luckily the proposed park is hardly that far away which gives tourist even more reason to visit Dreamland as apposed to say the Pleasure Beach or something.. I live in Dartford and it takes me 45 mins to an hour to reach Margate.

3) It shows potential that theme/amusement parks are still a viable proposition for this country despite what certain people and companies may believe.

Bring it on. Dreamland in 2014, Paramount in 2018. Hope it all goes ahead.
vann98

Postby woody » 12 Oct 2012, 09:36

its not Paramount Pictures, they have just sold a license to use the name. lets hope they can raise the money
woody

Postby Sy » 16 Oct 2012, 14:33

vann98 wrote:I considered this and I honestly don't think it will have a negative aspect on Dreamland in the slightest.
1) This Paramount park is far beyond competition for Dreamland. It is Thorpe park who better watch their backs.

2) More international visitors would surely mean at least a small portion of them coming to check out other UK parks and luckily the proposed park is hardly that far away which gives tourist even more reason to visit Dreamland as apposed to say the Pleasure Beach or something.. I live in Dartford and it takes me 45 mins to an hour to reach Margate.

3) It shows potential that theme/amusement parks are still a viable proposition for this country despite what certain people and companies may believe.

Bring it on. Dreamland in 2014, Paramount in 2018. Hope it all goes ahead.

I live in Dartford as well Vann and I totally agree with what you are saying...Although I do worry how the roads will cope with the extra demands of traffic lol
Sy

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum